E. A. Radnall
and Co of Dartmouth Street, Birmingham, produced Radco motorcycles
from 1913 to 1933; 1954; and 1966. Also produced cycle components.
1913 Late that year the marque was first seen at the Olympia Show. The
design was simple, with a vertically mounted 2½ hp two-stroke engine of
211cc, with rear magneto, petroil lubrication, external flywheel and Radco
forks. A chain-driven two-speed Albion
gearbox and belt final-drive, or a single speed with direct belt were offered.
Post World War 1. The 211cc model continued.
1920 That model was joined by a 247cc version. Gearboxes were changed to
with two or three speeds.
1921 The smaller engine was dropped and a ladies' moped was added, plus
a complete sidecar outfit
and various transmission choices.
1922-1926 That range continued to the end of 1926, when they produced their
first four-stroke model fitted with a 300cc sv JAP
1927 A 248cc ohv JAP model joined the range.
1928 By now there were also two 490cc models, both with JAP engines. One
was an sv and the other a sports model with a choice of single or twin-port
engine and called the RadcoAce.
1929 All the models were retained, but the 247cc changed its engine to
a Villiers, plus
an Albion three-speed gearbox.
1930 They added models using 147cc and 196cc Villiers engines. They kept
their own 247cc Radco two-stroke and reduced the JAP models to the
245cc and the two of 490cc.
1932 By now the range had been cut to just the two-strokes.
1933 The models of the previous year continued, after which they dropped
motorcycle production and manufactured components only.
1954 The name returned on a lightweight that revived the Ace name.
It was fitted with a 99cc Villiers 4F, two-speed engine unit and
leading-link forks. This was a prototype but nothing more was heard of
1966 Late that year the name re-surfaced once again for the Radcomuter.
This very basic machine was a mini-bike powered by a 75cc sv Villiers lawn-mower
engine. Typical of its type, nothing further came of it.