Featured Pages Matchless Flat Twin 1916 An Outstanding Design by Harry Collier
Matchless 732cc HO TwinClement Ader The Stuff of Legend
Pioneer in Telephony, Aviation and Motorcycling
Moteurs AderGuzzi's Grandpa A shaft-drive transverse V-twin from 1904, another deft touch from Clement Ader.
of Oliver Street Works, and Rocky Lane, Birmingham,
Brampton Brothers were manufacturers of cycle chain and cycle fittings.
1874 The brass foundry business was inherited by Arthur Brampton and his
c1886 Experimented with self-lubricating bicycle chains.
1897 Established as a public company. Directors are: Ebenezer Parkes, Charles
Henry Brampton, Frederick William Brampton and George Illiston. Also mentions
Walter Brampton and Arthur Brampton. Employ 1,000 people. The company made
chains and fittings for cycles and spring forks for motor cycles, but were
also involved in other products, including chains and parts for early automobiles.
The company was registered on 11 May, to take over the business of cycle
chain manufacturers of the firm of the same name.
1898 A branch chain works was opened in Calais.
1899 Patented the integral bush/inner plate chain upon which so many cycle
chains have been based.
In 1915 this became the subsidiary Brampton Brothers (Calais) Ltd., which
in turn developed into the Societe Anonyme des Etablissements Brampton
The Calais works manufactured shell parts during the First World War and
later produced light and heavy driving chains. New Birmingham works were
erected, at Witton, after the war.
1920 September. Exhibited at the Machine Tool and Engineering Exhibition
at Olympia with power transmission chains.
1925 The company was purchased by the Coventry Chain Co