'The little car itself is extremely interesting if only for the system of construction, which is reminiscent of the canvas canoe, but, instead of canvas, aeroplane fabric is stretched over a light lathwork of wood. This construction is not obvious, however, and at first sight the body appears to be built of wood. At the rear of the body there is a capacious locker, access to which is obtained by raising the back rest.
'Little can be said at the present time regarding the vehicle as a commercial proposition, but we understand that in all probability a company will be formed to market it. That it is more than the average experimental chassis put together to test an engine or transmission becomes evident when the car is examined. The main object of our rim in the car was to test the engine; and we can say that for a first engine of the batch about to be produced, it struck us as being remarkably quiet and flexible. The capacity is only 750 c.c., the bore and stroke being 80 and 78 mm. respectively, and since the car weighs about 8 cwt., gear changing was naturally somewhat frequent; but on the whole the vehicle had a good turn of speed, and whether in low gear or top, engine vibration was unnoticeable.
'The transmission is the subject of a pending patent, and therefore cannot be described. We think, however, that the designers will be well advised to install larger countershaft pulleys.'
1928 The motorcycle involvement was scaled down. The 486cc ohv was named Super-Sports, and the 689cc sv was available in standard or Silent-Six forms.
1929 The company unexpectedly unveiled the Dirt Track ohv model, which was produced until 1932. The three-wheelers were advertised for that year's Olympia show to '...provide car comfort at motorcycle cost'.
1933 Unchanged vintage looks resulted in the machines looking very out-dated, so the Dirt Track was dropped.
1935 The 486cc road motorcycles went out of production soon to be followed by the 689cc sv twin and by the end of the year manufacturing had ceased completely.
By 1926, the company found a new scope of activity: they launched their own design two seater, three-wheeler car with the single wheel at the rear. There were four versions, the Standard, the Sports, the De-luxe and the Parcelcar with prices starting at £75. It used their own horizontal twin-cylinder engines of 688cc at first, later enlarged to 749cc, 850cc and finally 998cc. Drive was to the rear wheel via a two-speed gearbox and chain drive. Early cars had a single brake.
1932 There was an updating in 1932, with styling by C. F. Beauvais and called the Luxury Sports with three-speed gearbox and costing from £110. The previous models remained available. Car production survived until 1938.
1937 Engine manufacturers.
1946 After World War II, a prototype, codenamed Venus, was made with flat four 747cc engine never reached production. Instead, the company concentrated on small diesel engines for the maritime market.
The company still exists as A. N. Weaver (Coventry Victor) Ltd.
If you have a query about about this page, or have some information to add, please contact us
Triumph, BMW, & Kawasaki Sales Spares & Repairs.
Established for over 40 years and run by expert motorcyclists.
Fully authorised workshop.