Featured Pages Matchless Flat Twin 1916 An Outstanding Design by Harry Collier
Matchless 732cc HO TwinClement Ader The Stuff of Legend
Pioneer in Telephony, Aviation and Motorcycling
Moteurs AderGuzzi's Grandpa A shaft-drive transverse V-twin from 1904, another deft touch from Clement Ader.
Matador motorcycles were produced from 1923 to 1927 in Preston to a design by Bert Houlding.
Bradshaw engines were used
throughout the lifespan of the marque, and the first machines were fitted
with the 349cc oil-cooled ohv version. Other standard fittings were all-chain
drive and a three-speed gearbox. Braking was via both brakes acting independently
on the rear wheel.
1924 Webb centre-spring forks were fitted, and the range expanded to include the 348cc engine in either sv or ohv form. Models for 1924 were the Semi-sports de Luxe, the Combination de Luxe for sidecar use, and the Super-Sports with an OHV Blackburne. Other special features included patent adjustable handlebars
and a patent silencer. During that year Bert Houlding left the company.
1925 Production continued with the addition of a model fitted with the two-port 344cc ohv JAP engine. Brampton forks were fitted and
one brake per wheel became the norm.
1926 The JAP engine was dropped and the company returned to using
only Bradshaw. The standard model was joined by a TT replica, with a roller-
bearing engine, Webb forks, a close-ratio gearbox and three
brakes (one front, two rear).
1927 Without the input of Bert Houlding the Matador design had become
stuck in the doldrums. The firm offered two machines as a standard and
a Super Sports, but it was their final year.