New Imperial Cycles, Ltd., Princip Street, Birmingham.
Post World War I. The company moved to Hall Green, Birmingham, and added more models to their range.
1921 That year brought success in the TT when Doug Prentice won the 250cc Junior race. Using that to advertise the make, they increased the range still further.
Mid-1920s The firm was now making its own engines and the JAP motors became an option before being dropped.
1924 A report on the 1924 Motor Cycle Show reads:
Another New Imperial of the same class is the super-sports, with a bore of 74 mm. and stroke 80 mm., which has the J.A.P. two-port engine. Druid forks and shock absorbers.
"This firm has taken the bold step of forsaking a proved proprietary engine for one of its own design. Both 350 c.c. and 250 c.c. engines are on the lines of the standard 250 c.c. unit. The 250 c.c. machine has the standard loop frame as used last year. Both have large tanks, standard gear-boxes and special servo brakes.
O. S. Davison is now one of the New Imperial team."
1930 The range had been so extensive that the firm decided to cut back and concentrate on six-cylinder model cars.
1932 Major advancements were made with the first appearance of the company's unit-construction models with the engine and gearbox built as one unit, wet-sump lubrication and pivoted-fork rear suspension.
Throughout the early 1930s developments were made on the sporting side and there were many successes.
1936 A 250cc New Imperial ridden by Bob Foster won the Lightweight TT, the last British four-stroke to win the event. Norman Downs died, which further exerbated the firm's financial difficulties, having not recovered from the financial downturn early in the decade.
1940 The planned move to Triumph took place, but the factory was bombed. Edward Turner's 3TU model was supposed to carry New Imperial badges, but never saw production. Proposals to use the name after the war did not materialise, so the name was never resurrected.
The Graves Speed King-JAP was produced between 1913 and 1914 by New Imperial and sold by J. G. Graves of Sheffield as their own marque.
If you have further information or a query related to this page, please contact us