Pearson and Cole of Duddeston Mill Road, Birmingham.
Peco motorcycles were produced in 1914. This company was better known for the production of engines but they also built a few motorcycles powered by their own 2¾ hp two-stroke engine which, apart from drip-feed lubrication, was conventional - as was the machine itself.
In 1914 they advertised a Dunkley two-stroke, 75 x 79 mm., 349 c.c.
Engines were produced until at least 1916* and these were supplied to numerous British motorcycle manufacturers of the period including:
As the present 2¼ h.p. Peco two-stroke has proved so satisfactory there is 110 reason for alteration for the 1915 season However, the large demand for a somewhat smaller power plant has induced the firm to construct an engine of 62x69 mm. bore and stroke, which is rated at 2¼ h.p., and has a cubic capacity of 210 c.c.
Almost every feature of the larger engine is reproduced in the new type. To begin with, an improved type of Hoffmann roller big end is used which is considerably narrower over all, in spite of the fact that the roller surface remains as before. This permits of a narrower crank case and consequently higher crank case compression, so that it has been found that the double or false top to the piston, which is so noticeable a feature of the larger engine, can be dispensed with. The small engine also has a plain piston trunk with two pegged rings at the top, and plain mainshaft bearings are employed instead of rollers.
The patented lubrication system is, of course, retained, the oil being led to a ring surrounding the cylinder and passing through holes to the piston, then the surplus is caught by a well below the base of the piston and conducted by separate leads to each main crankshaft bearing.
The new engine is neat and light, and can be supplied for either belt or chain drive; in the latter case a dished flywheel can be fitted which allows the sprocket to be mounted on the outside instead of between the engine and flywheel; consequently chain guarding is rendered a much simpler problem, and the chain is more acessible.
The Motor Cycle, October 29th, 1914. p483
* Waverley of Birmingham listed Peco engines for 1921.
Tomaselli of Italy lists Peco for 1935 - this seems unlikely, but the firm imported Calthorpe engines and Calthorpe had a relationship with Peco.
If you have further information or a query related to this page, please contact us