A Brief History of the Marque
Sterling was founded in 1920 by Nicolas Etienne Cycles
36 Rue voltaire à St Etienne
In the 1920s and 30s the firm built front suspension, and frames suitable for Aubier-Dunne, Chaise and Stainless engines, until 1936. It is suggested that they built complete 100cc BMA machines in this period.
In the post-war years the company was headed by Louis Vallat
They built the Sterva scooter in the years 1952-1954 - it had a wraparound body and was powered by SABB engines of 98, 123 and 175 cc, and a 125cc Ydral engine.
The Sterva scooter was built under licence in Belgium where it fitted with a JLO engine and marketed by Van Hauwaert as the Motoretta. The Sterva was also added to the catalogue of Stella of Nantes.
Around ten Sterva scooters are known to have survived.
The Sterling firm merged with Cocymo in 1955, but the Sterling name remained in use until at least 1959