By the later Pioneer period the motorcycle had evolved to the point where it provided relatively reliable transport and performance with its form established. One area however, continued to cause designers sleepless nights, that being the transmission. In 1910 the majority of motorcycles were single speed machines with no means of disengaging the drive, a situation that needed rectifying if the motorcycle was to continue its growth in popularity. A number of designs emerged as a consequence with Rudge at the forefront with their "Multi" drive. This system was arguably one of the best "variable" pulley type drives available at the time offering good reliability and ease of use.
The original Rudge offered, dating from 1913 features a single cylinder 499cc engine with a belt drive benefitting from the "Multi" gearing system and has had only four owners since 1913. It is fitted with a wicker sidecar (the bodywork having been made by a blind man in Southampton) and is accompanied by an original Pioneer Certificate (number 707) and a recently issued certificate bearing the same number. It is described as being in full running order with a tax disc valid until the 31st January 1914 and the paintwork is described as being in average condition, a Swansea V5C and file with paperwork relating to this delightful outfit accompany it.
Kindly supplied by H&H Classic Auctions