A Brief History of the Marque
A.E. Reynolds Ltd of Berry Street, Liverpool, produced AER motorcycles from 1937 to 1940. Earlier the firm produced machines under the Reynolds marque, from 1931 to 1934.
1937 Albert Reynolds first showed his AER model during the Isle of Man races - it had a 340cc twin-cylinder, air-cooled, all-alloy two-stroke engine with pressed in liners for the one-piece cylinder casting and a one-piece head, four-speed Burman gearbox, oil-pump lubrication and Webb Forks forks fitted to a conventional frame. Albert Reynolds had, however, previously produced special versions of the Scott in the early 1930s.
1938 Production of the AER twin began, with an Amal induction tract, flywheel magneto and chain-driven dynamo and oil pump.
1939 The twin was joined by a model with single-cylinder Villiers engines of either 249cc or 350cc, using the same frame and running gear.
1940 World War II brought production to a close and it never re-started, although Albert Reynolds continued to sell the last remaining models from his Liverpool shop where many remained, on the top floor, long after the war.
In 1957 Reynolds built a quite advanced scooter with a Villiers engine, hub-centre steering and a disc brake.
Sun Mar 22 2009
Petegarrod at aoldot com
Information on AER Motorcycles
AER AER 350cc 2 stroke Twin
Information required on any other owners.
If you have further information or a query related to this page, please contact us