1901 The first machiens had a Minerva engine suspended from the down tube of a standard bicycle.
1902 Late that year they produced machines built to the Birch design. This had the crankcase cast around two of the main frame tubes. In other respects they were similar to the new Werner design and were fairly primitive. The principal model, listed as the Peerless, had a 2.5 hp engine. A lightweight was also listed and this had a Clement-Gerrard engine inclined above the frame down tube. It drove a counter-shaft which was mounted ahead of the bottom bracket, it then went to the rear wheel and both drives were by chain. Other than that it was no more than a heavy-duty bicycle.
1903-1908 The model continued with a few modifications and the crankcase cast to the frame. Various power outputs were available as well as a tandem backseat frame. This was a pillion seat with handlebars. There was also a forecar with a 4hp water-cooled engine and chain drive.
1909 Still of the same construction, but now with sprung forks, the firm standardized on a 3.5hp model - followed by transmission models.
1910 Cycle and Motorcycle Exhibition
Bradbury and Co., Ltd.
Wellington Works, Oldham. Stand No. 81.
The Bradbury motor-bicycle is introduced in two forms for 1911 namely, the roadster and the light roadster or Tourist Trophy, the latter weighing some 301bs. less than the former. The excellent feature of using a steel crank case and making it an essential part of the frame is retained. The fitting of a cross tube below the tank is thus avoided and there is good clearance both above and below the engine. The Brown and Barlow carburetter and Bosch magneto occupy the usual positions and the former is handlebar control. Inverted levers under the handlebar operate the exhaust lifter and the front wheel brake. A low position is secured for the saddle by providing a lug behind the upper part of the diagonal tube to receive the saddle pillar.
The front fork is provided with links and springs on the parallel ruler principle. Transmission is by belt and variable pulley. The tank is held in place by cast steel clips and is fitted with a petrol filter. The rear brake is operated by a pedal mounted independently of the foot-rests, which are provided with rubber pads. The tool bag is furnished with an improved set of tools and is securely supported at the back of the carrier and sufficiently below it to give a clear platform. The roadster models are specially adapted to stand sidecar work, the lighter pattern is without pedalling gear. These excellent machines are not sold to the public direct, but to retailers only.
1913 Late that year 3.5hp flat-twin model appeared. This had its magneto mounted on top of the crankcase, a three-speed chain-driven gearbox, the choice of chain or belt final-drive and drum rear-brake.
1914 A 6hp V-twin model was added. This had a three-speed gearbox, all-chain
drive and drum rear-brake.
Bradbury 1914 Models
By 1890 around 600 factory staff were employed with a further 800 at 60 depots.
By 1898 Bradburys had produced it's first motorcycle and, although sewing machines continued to be the firm's main product, a vigorous and sustained effort was made to enter the automotive industry after 1900. As well as motorcycles, a prototype motor car was developed but for some reason it did not go into production.
In 1903 Bradbury were making large turret lathes.
At the end of 1905, when the company employed around 1,500 workers, a range of motorcycles was available.
By 1914 Bradburys were reducing their reliance on the sewing machine market through diversification and had achieved some success in the motor industry. The firm was experienced in mass production techniques and was probably set to realise the fruits of previous years development of motorcycles and quite possibly cars as well.
WWI During the war Bradbury & Company Ltd. supplied motorcycles and bicycles to the British forces. They probably also supplied machine tools to munitions factories and in all likelihood produced munitions themselves. After the war the company reintroduced it's range of sewing machines and other products but by the end of 1923 they experiencing financial problems and it is believed that all production ceased around this time.
1924 Bradbury ceased all production in 1924, at the lowest point of the post-war slump. In the sewing machine market they were in competition with the Jones Co of Audenshaw as well as the Scottish subsidiary of the American firm Singer.
1929 Eventually, Bradbury & Co. Ltd. was officially dissolved in May 1929.
Source: Graces Guide
If you have a query or information about Bradbury motorcycles please contact us
Triumph, BMW, & Kawasaki Sales Spares & Repairs.
Established for over 40 years and run by expert motorcyclists.
Fully authorised workshop.