emu
Bradbury Motorcycles

Bradbury Motorcycles for 1921

Bradbury-1920-TMC-02.jpg
Bradbury at the Olympia Show 1920

On the Bradbury the frame lugs are cast in one with the crank-case.
Radiating fins are provided on the large cast aluminium silencer of the 6 h p. Bradbury.

Bradbury-1920-TMC-03.jpg
6 h.p. Bradbury with Grindlay Sidecar 1920

Large radiating fins and an improved silencer are the most obvious detail alterations on the 6 h.p. Bradbury; a Grindlay sidecar is fitted.

Olympia Show 1920

Bradbury. (Stand 60.)

  • 6 h.p.; 74.5x86 mm. (750 c.c); twin-cylinder four-stroke; side-by-side valves; hand pump lubrication; B. and B. carburetter; C.A.V. chain-driven magneto; three-speed Bradbury gear; chain and belt drive; 650x55 mm. tyres.

Bradbury and Co., Ltd., Wellington Works, Oldham.

Bradbury machines have for many years attained a name in the world of motor cycle manufacture, especially where a mount having at once great strength and proved reliability is required. Naturally, the 6 h.p. sidecar machine is the principal feature on the stand, because it represents sound and well- tried practice in sidecar outfits, and is essentially made to stand up to the exigencies of everyday hard work. Great strength is apparent, not at the expense of accessibility nor by the introduction of numerous additional tubes or stays, but by sheer merit of sound design and ample proportion.

The engine has detachable heads, each held down by a single bridge and two long bolts, so that decarbonising is easy and takes little time. Both valves are at the side, and operated by disc-ended tappets offset to avoid pits being formed by the hammer of the valve stems, while a sturdy cast aluminium silencer is bolted beneath the frame and heavily ribbed to provide additional cooling surface. Light chain guards protect the drive to the driven sprocket, within which the expanding brake is housed. It is the sidecar suspension, however, that is one of the principal features, for beside the twin semi-elliptics for the third wheel, inverted semi-elliptics are interposed between the body and the frame, while coil springs are used at the front.

  • 2¾ h.p.; 74.5x80 mm. (349 c.c); single-cylinder four-stroke; side-by-side valves; hand pump lubrication; B. and B. carburetter; chain-driven magneto; three-speed Bradbury gear; chain and belt drive; 26x2½ in. tyres.

  • 4 h.p.; 89x89 mm. (554 c.c); single-cylinder four-stroke; side-by-side valves; drip feed lubrication; B. and B. carburetter; chain-driven magneto; three-speed gear; chain drive; 26x2½ in. tyres.

Beside the twin a 4 h.p. single-cylinder engined sidecar model on. similar lines is shown, the exception being that the head of the cylinder is not detachable. A 2¾ h.p. model also is a single-cylinder, but the design is similar to the twin, to the cylinders of which the single-cylinder of this model bears a close resemblance. Apart from the cylinder, however, the fact that the crank case is an integral part of the frame, and bears lugs for the two down tubes as well as the single seat pillar, provides sufficient distinction. Both sidecar machines are chain-driven, but the solo model has chain and belt.

Olympia Show. The Motor Cycle, December 2nd, 1920. Page 714



If you have a query or information about Bradbury motorcycles please contact us