Today in Motorcycle History

Coventry Bicycles

Coventry Bicycles of Wellington Street, Coventry.

Also traded as Coventry Motor Cycle Co.

The firm was established by Messrs Barbary and Downes, former employees of the Hobart Motor Cycle Co.

Coventry-B&D was one of several marques built by the firm.

Coventry B and S motorcycles were produced in 1923 by Coventry Bicycles

The initials B and S signified the fitting of Barr and Stroud engines. These were 349cc sleeve-valve singles, driving through a three-speed Burman gearbox and chain to the rear wheel. They also produced at least one machine with the so-called Octopus B and S engine, with two inlet and four exhaust stubs. This was an attempt to improve breathing and exhaust.

The parent company did continue into 1924, by which time the models were badged with the Coventry B and D insignia.

Three Spires was a motorcycle produced between 1931 and 1932, by Coventry Bicycles.

Their machine was a lightweight fitted with a 147cc Villiers engine, two-speed Albion gearbox and a basic set of cycle parts. It's style was more suited to that of the previous decade and it was not on the market for long.

The name 'Three Spires' was a reference to the spires of the St Michael's Cathedral, Christ Church and Holy Trinity Churches.
Damien Kimberley, 'Coventry's Motorcycle Heritage', p.110[1]

Wee MacGregor motorcycles were produced from 1922 to 1924, by the Coventry Motor Cycle Co. It was a sub-marque of Coventry Bicycles, builders of the Coventry B and D.

The first examples had 170cc two-stroke Hobart engines and either plain two-speed or two-speed with clutch, kick-start transmissions and belt final-drive.

Later, the engine capacity was increased to 205cc and an open-framed ladies' model could be obtained.

Notes. 1. Courtesy Graham Clayton.

Sources: Graces Guide, et al.

If you have further information or a query related to this page, please contact us