Raleigh Motorcycles

Raleigh 1903-1904 Models

The Raleigh Cycle Co.

The Raleigh Cycle Co., Ltd., of Nottingham, will exhibit on their stand at the National Show a 3 h.p. chain-driven motor cycle, embodying all the most improved and up-to-date ideas as applied to motor bicycles. All taps and levers are dispensed with-on this machine, it being controlled from the handlebar by means of twisting handles and Bowden wire. The engine is fitted with a governor, which allows the machine to be driven from a mere crawl up to thirty-five miles an hour. The drive is by a Hans Renold motor chain from a spring clutch on the engine pulley to a countershaft, and thence to a spring chain wheel on the driving wheel. One of the novelties on this stand will be the new Raleighette, or three-wheeled motor tandem. This is an entirely new departure in forecarriages. The power is derived from a 3¼ h.p. water-cooled engine, with chain transmission and a two-speed gear, which enables the machine with two passengers to climb any hill without overheating the engine. A 2 h.p. chain-driven motor cycle and a 2 h.p. belt-driven machine, both of these selling at a very moderate price, complete the exhibit. A duplicate set of these motors will be running in the Palace grounds, where intending purchasers may enjoy a trial run.

The Motor Cycle November 18th, 1903 Page 805
Crystal Palace Show 1903

The Raleigh.

At the time of our first visit to Stands Nos. 7 and 8, occupied by the Raleigh. Cycle Co., Ltd., two types of motor bicycles were staged. The first of these is a belt-driven machine having a vertically placed 3 h.p. engine, which is supplied with gaseous mixture by means of a Longuemare carburetter. In this machine the regulating levers are provided with a quadrant, in which are a number of holes, engaging with which is a tooth on each lever, so that the position of the levers is positive wherever they may be placed, and there is no fear of their working loose. A V-shaped belt is employed. The principal feature of the Raleigh motor bicycle is its frame design. So far as the belt-driven machine is concerned, the cross frame proper is not employed, though the bottom head tube runs to the seat tube at a point about one-third of its total height from the crank bracket. The engine is secured to the bottom bracket by means of a strong cradle forming part of the crank bracket. Duplex. oval section stays connect it to the bottom head lug. Duplex front forks are employed, and front and rear rim brakes are fitted. This machine has 28in. wheels.

The second machine shown has a 2 h.p. engine placed vertically in a true Raleigh cross frame. In this instance the crank bracket is located at a point some distance behind the junction of the lower end of the seat-pillar with the crank chamber of the engine. As in the previously-described machine, further support is given to the engine by means of oval section duplex stays. The crankshaft of the engine is provided with a spring clutch sprocket wheel on the right-hand side. This is connected to a chain wheel mounted on the pedal crank-axle, and connected to the larger chainwheel is a second sprocket, which drives on to a chain ring mounted on a clutch on the rear hub. The starting gear is on the left-hand side of the pedal crank-axle, and drives by means of an ordinary free-wheel clutch on the rear hub. Turning to the engine, the exhaust passes from the cylinder into a silencer placed between the cylinder and the seat tube. Above this is placed a Longuemare carburetter.

Lubrication of the engine is effected by means of a sight-feed lubricator, oil being passed to the crank chamber when desired by simply opening a tap, the handle to which is conveniently placed immediately behind the handle-bar stem. The regulation of the sparking advance and throttle on this machine is effected by means of Bowden wires with twisting handles. The operation of these demonstrates a very fine adjustment of both sparking advance and throttle. The air regulation to the carburetter is effected by means of a horizontally-placed lever located on the top and about midway along the top tube. The wheels of this machine are 26in. in diameter. A front rim brake is fitted, applied by a Bowden lever, the rear brake being applied by back-pedalling. As in the previously-described machine, the usual exhaust valve lifter is fitted. One detail of finish which appealed to us very strongly was the fitting of a broad leather flap to the front mudguard. (Stands 7 and 8.)

The Motor Cycle November 25th, 1903. Page 846
Crystal Palace Show 1903

If you have further information or a query related to this marque, please contact us