A Brief History of the Marque
68 rue Roque-de-Fillol
The founder, Charles Mochet, died in 1934 and was succeeded by his son George who died 1st January 2008.
The firm was France's largest manufacturer of velomobiles during the inter-war years, and their single- and two-seater cyclecars and velocars had wooden bodies. All of the powered microcars were fitted with pedals until just after the war.
In the late 20s / early 30s Mochet designed a 175cc two-stroke powered machine named the Ptitauto. Few were produced, but the production of pedal-powered vehicles continued through the war years whilst the country was under Nazi occupation, ensuring the marque's survival.
They became a necessity as WWII closed in and gasoline became non-existent. It's said families escaped occupied Paris by night sneaking away in silent velocars.
Suddenly, velocars were not just for the poor. Mochet actually pumped out as many velocars during Nazi occupation as they did in the 16 years prior. Velocars were so simple and used little resources, so the Mochet factory was one of the few that remained open. The market was all theirs since a velocar was the only new vehicle you could buy. People even started putting little moped engines in them and re-selling them with the Mochet badge replaced. People Powered - Velocars, Microcars, the Wars & the Mochets
After the war, Mochet produced velocars powered by 100cc engines with pedals as such vehicles could be used sans-permis if the engine was under 125cc.
The Type H velocar of 1945 was followed by the type K, their first without without pedals, and was released in 1947 with a Zurcher 125 engine. A similar improved model was seen in 1948 named the CM 125, and these were also produced as utility vehicles in flatbed, canvased roof or van configuration for most of the firm's postwar life. Among those was the 1956 Mochet CM-125Y Camionette, a four-wheel van. Fine examples of these vehicles sell for over US$35,000. George Mochet built around 25 rather attractive scooters.1952 saw a Grande Luxe version of the CM, and in 1953 an Ydral 175cc model was offered for which a licence was required. This model continued, with modifications, until at least 1954.
In 1949 they introduced the petit Velostyle scooter/moped powered by a 49cc VAP-4. It was simply gorgeous, but a little too expensive for the intended market.
1953 saw the advent of the CM 750 cabriolet with bodywork by Antem and propelled by 750 flat-twin CEMEC engine. Only two prototypes were built, one of which was used by Georges on a daily basis for the next 5 years.
1958 saw a change in regulations, dropping the sans-permis engine size to 50cc. The company was doomed, and closed shortly thereafter.
Postwar production peaked at 40 units per month.
CMS 175 Motorcycle
Georges Mochet built a single example of an Ydral-powered motorcycle which was raced at Montherley. The bike is believed to be in a museum in Stockholm.
An image may be found in Moto-revue. Nr. 1390. 10/05/1958.
Notes: Charles Mochet was an aviation enthusiast, according to an article by Lane Motor Museum.
Sources: forum-auto.com, club-ydral.net, buyvintage.com, et al.
If you have a query or information about Mochet Microcars please contact us