A Brief History of the Marque
Originally a Swiss company, Zürcher & Lüthi (Zédel, or ZL) built their first motorcycle engines prior to the turn of the 20th century at Saint-Aubin-Sauges in Switzerland, then in 1903 built a new facility across the border in Pontarlier in France in order to avoid import tariffs. In 1905 the Swiss factory was closed, and the Zedel marque effectively became French, producing rather fine automobiles until the onset of WWI.
In 1907 the Swiss factory resumed production, but closed again in 1908.
Automobiles were produced again after the first war, in 1919 and 1920. The company name was changed to Donnet-Zedel and continued to build cars at the Pontarlier factory until 1928, when the Zedel name was dropped and the company moved to Nanterre. Donnet was sold to Simca in 1935.
Zedel had a French subsidiary based at Ferrière sur Jougne which was acquired by Alcyon in 1906.
After WWII the marque was revived. The French address was:
Ste des Moteurs Zurcher
36-44 rue d'Aboukir
Zurcher engines were fitted to many motorcycles including:
Pre-war Models include:
Zurcher Engines (post-war)
Triumph, BMW, & Kawasaki Sales Spares & Repairs.
Established for over 40 years and run by expert motorcyclists.
Fully authorised workshop.