emu
Werner Motorcycles

Werner Motorcycles

A Brief History of the Marque
Built in France from 1897 to 1908 by the Russian brothers Werner who invented among other things the cradle frame still in use on the majority of the world's motorcycles. Early models had front wheel drive.

The first Rudge motorcycles were re-badged Werner machines.

Werner History


December 1901 Paris Salon

§ 1. - Werner motorcycle.

...one can take the Werner 1902 motorcycle, the fifth model created by this company, the first of which dates back to 1897. The engine, a three-quarter horse, powered by a spray carburettor and equipped with electric ignition with accumulators and coil, is arranged vertically at the bottom of the frame, and the pedals have been moved back. The power is transmitted by a belt to a pulley mounted on the rear wheel. The motorcycle can achieve a speed of 10 to 50 kilometers per hour; it weighs 35 kg.

§ 1. - Motocyclette Werner.

Comme type de la première catégorie, on peut prendre la motocyclette Werner 1902 (fig. 1), le cinquième modèle créé par cette maison, dont le premier remonte déjà à 1897. Le moteur, d’un cheval trois quarts, alimenté par un carburateur à pulvérisation et muni de l’allumage électrique avec accumulateurs et bobine, est disposé verticalement au bas du cadre, à la place du pédalier, qui a été reculé. Le mouvement est transmis par une courroie à une poulie montée sur la roue d’arrière. La motocyclette marche à une vitesse de 10 à 50 kilomètres à l’heure ; elle pèse 35 kg.

Denis Blaizot in Gloubik Science


Report from the 1902 Stanley Show

Stand 91. Werner Motors, Ltd., 151a, Regent Street, have a very fine exhibit, comprising 11 machines. The Werner design has been still further improved for 1903. Two powers are shown, viz., 2 h.p. and 2.75 h.p. The carburetter is now fitted with a throttle, and is much neater than last season. All machines are Paris-built throughout, and the finish is most excellent, and will satisfy the most critical inspection. Brake gear is very substantial, the front rim brake being at once simple and most effective, and the rear brake is constructed on an entirely new principle. The tank has been altered in design, the accumulator being now placed in a centre compartment, and the capacity of the largest size tank is 150 miles; contact breaker and pulley also are quite on new principles. The tyres are Dunlop motor-bicycle, specially made for the Werner Company, Limited, with rims of Dunlop-Bartlett section. The free-wheel is on the Morrow principle, and hubs are of special strength. Timing gear is also made stronger, and the regulating levers are all within easy reach. Lubrication details are also improved.

Motor Cycling, 26th November 1902




If you have a query or information about Werner Motorcycles please contact us