16 Upper St. Martin's Lane, London WC
Griffon Motors of London was a subsidiary of the French firm. From 1903 to 1906 motorcycles with 2¾ and 3 hp Zedel engines were marketed.
Reports from the 1903 Stanley Show
Griffon Motors' Ltd. Exhibit. This firm's exhibit will comprise a range of 1903 pattern Griffon motor-bicycles fitted with the special Griffon 2.5 h.p. motor, combined spark and exhaust valve lever, special girder forks, copper tank, containing accumulator, coil, and capacity for one gallon of petrol and one pint lubricating oil, new pattern plug, special front and rear wheel brakes. Weighing complete only 110 lbs. Also the new 1904 pattern Griffon, 3 h.p. motor, with new mechanical inlet valve, automatic Longuemare carburetter, spring forks. There will also be shown the identical Griffon on which Lamberjack won the Chateau-Thierry Hill Climb and the identical Griffon on which Demester won the Circuit des Ardennes. All these will be found in the Minor Hall at the Stanley.
It having been found difficult to conduct English business from continental headquarters, Messrs Griffon Motors, Ltd., have been registered at 16, Upper St. Martin's Lane, London, W.C. The Griffon is the motorcycle ridden by Lamberjack at Dourdan recently, when a sensational speed equal to 65 miles per hour was attained. Many other fine performances stand to its credit. No agents have been appointed in this country, and applications front those who mean business will welcomed. The bicycle will be exhibited at the Stanley, Minor Hall, Stand 20. Arrangements have been made to distribute as a souvenir a handsome booklet, bound in real morocco leather, and lettered in gold. It contains a reprint of the Motor Cars Act, 1903, for which special Government permission has been obtained. Full directions of "What to do on January 1st 1904," and space for entering special regulations, closed roads, etc., in the owner's particular district, are included. A more serviceable present for motormen it would be difficult to produce. See that you get one!
Rey and Pratt
An exceedingly good exhibit of Griffon motor cycles is to be found on this stand, no less than five models being shown. The chief speciality for this season is the 2½ h.p. model, bore and stroke 75 by 80 mm. which is sold to the public at a very moderate price. The most interesting part of the Griffon machine is the method of driving the contact breaker... magneto as the case may be. In the 2 to 1 gear case are two bevelled pinions and on the larger of these inclined planes are cut which serve the purpose of cams and operate inlet and exhaust valves The ends of the tappets an provided with rollers. The contact breaker is carried horizontally above the engine, and is in a most accessible position, and is driven by means of a cardan shaft.
The other models shown consist of a 3½ h.p. single-cylinder, 80 mm by 90, and a 5 h.p. twin-cylinder, with magneto (75 by 80), and a 3½ h.p. twin-cylinder, also with magneto ignition, bore and stroke 67 by 70. The light-weight model I¼ h.p., 64 by 68, which is also to be found here, makes its first appearance in England at the Stanley Show It is provided with a reducing gear which allows the belt pulleys to be more equalised in size than is the usual case, thus reducing the wear the belt.
In all the Griffon machines shown "ZL" engines and carburetters are fitted. The latter is interesting, in that a spring plunger is provided for pushing through the jet in the event of an obstruction being suspected. Two brakes are provided, one being fitted in rather an unusual position, viz., on the big gear wheel of the reduction gear. The spring forks fitted to these machines are particularly well designed, and cannot allow of any side play. The lightweight, since its introduction, has distinguished itself in winning the Auto Cycle Club de France Cup having gained the highest marks for reliability and speed.
Sources: Wikipedia NL, The Motor Cycle, November 1907.
If you have further information or a query related to this page, please contact us