Imperial Metro was a motorcycle produced in 1914 and 1915, in Saltley, Birmingham.
This was the name by which the Metro was known in its early days.
The machine had a 269cc two-stroke Metro engine with the option of a single- or two-speed transmission, using either direct-belt drive or a combination of chain and belt. It was fitted with either Brampton Biflex or Druid forks.
Although the model continued into 1915, as the war intensified sales rapidly decreased and the marque vanished.
An addition to the ranks of ladies' motor cycles is one produced by the Metro Manufacturing and Engineering Company, Adderley Park, Birmingham.
This machine is exactly similar in specification to the diamond frame model which has been sold for some months past, having a two-stroke engine measuring 70 x 70 mm., giving a capacity of 269 c.c. The machine can be obtained single-geared, or, as illustrated, with a Roc two-speed counter-shaft gear, incorporating chain and belt drive at an extra charge. The saddle position is very low, being but 28in. from the ground, whilst the crank case clearance is as much as 6in.
The Motor Cycle, November 5th, 1914. p508
Metro Mfg and Eng. Co., Adderley Road, Saltley, Birmingham
If you have further information or a query related to this page, please contact us
Triumph, BMW, & Kawasaki Sales Spares & Repairs.
Established for over 40 years and run by expert motorcyclists.
Fully authorised workshop.