Triumph, BMW, & Kawasaki Sales Spares & Repairs.
Established for over 40 years and run by expert motorcyclists.
Fully authorised workshop.
(1) The valve side of the machine and the silencing arrangements. (2) Showing details of the working of the Gradua gear. It will be noticed that water outlet pipes are provided on each side of the cylinders, and an additional water tank is fitted on the top tube.
THE accompanying illustrations show an interesting Zenith-Green motor bicycle supplied to the order of Mr. C. T. Freeman, Palmer's Green, Southgate, N., by Messrs. Maudes' Motor Mart. The most conspicuous feature is the 8 h.p. water-cooled Green engine, which, unlike other engines of this make, has a separate honeycomb radiator. The valve gear is of the ordinary overhead type found on the Green, so designed that if a valve breaks it cannot fall into the cylinder. The water jackets are, of course, of copper, and the water pipes and exhaust pipe of the same material.
It will be noticed that the water pipes are of ample dimensions, and, consequently, the engine should keep extremely cool. The water is poured in through the small tank on the top tube, which also acts as an expansion chamber. The carburetter fitted is the well-known Binks three-jet model, while in addition to the Best and Lloyd lubricator an ordinary hand pump is supplied. The machine is fitted with a Stewart magnetic speedometer and Brooks saddle. No clutch is fitted, but the ordinary Zenith-Gradua gear, the top ratio of which is 3 to 1. Another interesting feature in the engine is the fitting of a glass window in the crank case to show the level of the oil. The bore and stroke of the engine is 85 mm. X 85 mm., giving a capacity of 964 c.c.
The Motor Cycle, August 20th, 1914.
WE recently had an opportunity of inspecting a particularly fine sidecar outfit on which a quick-firing gun is mounted, Mr. F. W. Barnes, of the Zenith Company, being responsible for the design of the sidecar chassis. The sidecar is constructed throughout of straight tubes and is immensely strong. In the centre is a column supporting the gun, on which it is pivoted, providing an ample amount of lateral movement. A locking device holds the gun in position, so that it is held rigidly until its use is required : the gun may be worked either ahead or astern, as by undoing the locking screw referred to the gun may be lifted out, turned completely round, and used in the reverse direction. When the gun is in action a "spade," which is hinged to the near side sidecar member, can be let down so as to hold the combination steady while the gun is being fired. If the sidecar is lifted up and the leg pushed forward it makes an efficient sidecar stand.
The quick detachability of the gun is an especially important feature, as, in the event of the combination arriving at a spot where further progress by road is not possible, the gun may be lifted up and the tripod shown in the illustration quickly detached and carried with the gun to a convenient position.
A platform is provided upon which the gunner sits, and provision is made for the conveyance of ammunition boxes. A comfortable cushion is to be found on the luggage carrier, and also a handle to which one of the gun's crew can hold on, and to which is attached an auxiliary brake provided with a ratchet lever so that it will stay on in any position. The tripod rests on a spring carrier, and when in position acts as an efficient form of spring footrest for the passenger riding on the carrier. The gun used is the Vickers light machine gun.
The Motor Cycle, December 24th, 1914.
If you have further information or a query related to this page, please contact us