1. Phoenix were motorcycles that were produced in Worcestershire before World War I. They were made in very small numbers and little further information
2. Phoenix were scooters produced from 1956 to 1964, by Ernie Barrett, in Tottenham, London. Only Villiers
engines were ever used.
1956 The first machine was seen and was typical of its type, but rather weighty. It had the Villiers 30C 147cc engine.
1958 The rear body was improved and changed to glass-fibre moulding. Engines of 148cc, 197cc and 249cc were added to the range. Models were available in both standard and
De Luxe versions.
1960 Further engines of 174cc and 324cc were added.
1963 A model fitted with the 99cc 6F engine appeared but the market was in decline.
1964 Production stopped.
3. Phoenix tricar built in London from 1900 by J.Van Hooydonk, native of Brussels. In 1903, the managing directors were Hooydonk and A.F. Ilsley, company address Blundell St, Caledonian Road, King's Cross, London N.
Phoenix Trimo Forecar 1906 Displacement: 636 cc Engine: water-cooled Velox engine Production: Unknown. Two are known to exist.
Joseph Van Hooydonk was a Belgian living in England who built his first Minerva-powered motorcycles in 1900 at his small factory in Holloway Road, north London.
The Trimo Phoenix forecar emerged in 1903, a tricycle fitted with a Velox engine which had a passenger seat located between the two front wheels and a two-speed gearbox, designed and patented by Joseph Van Hooydonk.
Phoenix were motorcycles produced from 1900 to 1908, by J.
Van Hooydonk, firstly in Holloway Road, then in Caledonian Road, London.
1900 This was one of a number of firms that bought in Belgian Minerva
engines to attach to its bicycles.
1902 After the move to Caledonian Road, a forecar
attachment was offered. This replaced the single front wheel by two that
carried a seat between them. Removal was said to take only a few minutes.
The attachment was sold as the Trimo and could be fitted to most
other makes. It was therefore very popular.
1903 A Trimo was adapted to use a Singer
motor-wheel in place of both its engine and the usual rear wheel. They
also built a model fitted with a new 3hp Minerva
engine that had a cam-operated inlet valve. The motorcycle remained the
same with the engine hung from the frame.
1904 The model remained unchanged but with variations of transmission available.
Later in the year a ladies' version of the Trimo was added, with
a drop frame and upright engine.
1905 The range of solos continued, with the option of either belt or chain
drive, either with one or two speeds, plus the forecars.
A solo ladies' model was also added, this with a 2hp engine fitted to an
1906 The open frame became available for general use, fitted with a 2hp
or 2¾ hp engine and two-speed gearing. The Trimo became more car-like
1908 The solo, known as the Cob, had a 3½ hp Fafnir
engine. Although all the Phoenix machines were well-made and widely
advertised, production had always been small-scale so they were not competitive
enough to remain in the trade.
1911 Around this date they moved the business to Letchworth
1913-1917 For a list of the models and prices see the 1917 Red Book
1919 January. Advertised a 11.9 hp car seating three abreast. J. Van Hooydonk
and A. F. Ilsley are listed as Joint Managing Directors.
By 1928 the last Phoenix was made, and the works were probably taken over
by the Ascot Motor and Manufacturing Co.