A NEW 4 h.p. TWIN AND A NEAT TWO-STROKE LIGHTWEIGHT WE recently had an opportunity of inspecting two new models which Messrs. Brown Brothers are introducing for 1915. The larger machine is fitted with a beautifully made V-twin engine of 3½-4 h.p. As the bore and stroke respectively are 63 x 83 mm., the engine comes just outside the 500 c.c. class, being actually 518 c.c. It is, however, powerful enough for sidecar work. The chief features are the neat scissors type of exhaust lifter, and the excellently designed overhead inlet valves, the rockers of which work in a dustproof case, which may be filled with oil. The accompanying sketches clearly show the admirable way in which this piece of design has been carried out, and the close fitting slides which exclude the dust. The chamber in which the spring works has a large "window" cut in it, and sufficient air is admitted to ensure the adequate cooling of the spring. Well-designed adjustable tappets are fitted. The illustration of the timing gear shows that the magneto is driven by eccentric wheels, which have the effect of causing a very sudden break immediately after the maximum position has been obtained, thus causing a powerful and brilliant spark.
An Entirely New Model.
Quite an innovation for Messrs. Brown Bros, is the introduction of a 2¼ h.p. two-stroke motor cycle, which is to be known in future as the Vindec, and is, of course, very different from the Vindec Special, which older readers of The Motor Cycle will remember.
Its motive power is a two-stroke engine 64 X 70 mm. of 226 c.c, the transfer port of which is cast integrally with the cylinder. A large outside steel flywheel is fitted. The release valve exhausts directly into the silencer, a point which is most essential, as these valves are often objectionably noisy; not only so, but oil is sprayed out and gives the machine an untidy appearance. The lubrication is carried out in an interesting manner. The general lubrication of the engine is effected by means of the ordinary mixed or " petroil " system, the measure for the oil being carried inside the filler cap of the petrol tank. Close to the two-way tap of the hand pump is a spout which, when the tap is placed in the correct direction, allows the oil to fill the measure. The tap, when placed in the other direction, injects oil directly from the oil tank to a ring running round the top of the crank case, which is in direct communication with the main bearings of the engine. A type of two-speed gear which has long been proved to be effective is fitted. It is of the dog clutch pattern, and the transmission is by chains in oil-tight cases on each side of the crank case, one for the high and the other for the low gear. From counter-shaft to rear wheel the transmission is by a ¾in. rubber belt.
It is interesting to note that spring footboards are fitted. The specification includes 26in. x 2in. Dunlop tyres, Senspray carburetter, C.A.V. magneto, Druid forks, and Lycett saddle. The mudguarding of the front wheel is well carried out, the guard being provided with valances, while the rear guard is of wide section with an extension over the belt rim.
The Motor Cycle, October 15th, 1914. pp437, 438.
Brown Bros., Ltd. , Great Eastern Street, London, E.C.
If you have further information or a query related to this page, please contact us