Triumph, BMW, & Kawasaki Sales Spares & Repairs.
Established for over 40 years and run by expert motorcyclists.
Fully authorised workshop.
Produced from 1926 to 1929, the EW had a horizontally opposed twin of 348cc (60.8 x 60 mm)
Extract from a report on the 1926 Olympia Show:
The chief sensation is the new 600 c.c. E.W. Model, which closely resembles the wonderful 1926 E.W. in appearance, but has, of course, a larger engine, embodying detachable cylinder heads. For the trials man desirous of all the excellent E.W. features plus a little extra power, the 600 c.c. model should approach very near the ideal. Great interest is sure to be aroused by the announcement of the first super-charged motor-cycle available to the public. This bold step has been taken by the Coventry Victor firm, who are always well to the fore with bright ideas. A " Berk " supercharger is fitted to one of the well known 500 c.c. o.h.v. models, and provided the necessary strengthening of the engine has been carried out, a very remarkable machine should result. The other "talking point" on this stand is a new silencer, which is claimed to be very effective, and which is also marketed separately as a proprietary article."
The 80-mile run from London to Stratford to the start of the trial was accomplished at a 27-m.p.h. average in spite of thick fog for the last twenty miles, and the P. & H. headlamp required only one fill of carbide and provided perfectly adequate illumination. Fuel consumption came out at about 90 m.p.g., 60 m.p.h. was obtainable under good conditions and comfort was of such an order that the rider felt no soreness or aches after going through the "Colmore" as already recounted and immediately riding the 80 miles home, again in the dark. The hills mostly proved easy, although the Hutchison semi-balloon tyres tended to promote spin unless small throttle openings were imposed. Snags were that it was impossible to make a snap-change from second to top gear and that the front brake was entirely inoperative even when wheeling the bicycle! But on the score of lightness, sturdy build, low price and comfort the "E.W." Douglas got full marks."
Douglas 1927 350cc 3 Speed E.W.
"In 1925 the new E.W model was introduced; the engine was updated and the cycle parts were modernized, the main new feature being the attractive sloping petrol tank that replaced the flat parallel one used for so many years.
The gear change lever of the 3-speed gearbox was now operated through a slot in the tank. The famous Douglas silver with blue panels colour scheme was retained and the new model attracted much attention at the Motor Cycle Show, another attractive feature being its modest price of £ 45.
The E.W. was immediately popular and continued with modifications for several years."
If you have a query or information about Douglas motorcycles please contact us