Detail Alterations only on the other Popular Models. Big Single no Longer Listed.
Two of the James models remain practically unaltered; these are the 749 c.c. twin and the 350 c.c. four- stroke, which made its first appearance at this year's A.C.U. Six Day's Trials.
The little two-stroke also has undergone but slight modifications, the most important being the adoption of all-chain drive with a two-speed gear.
Changes to the Solo Twin,
Considerable alterations, however, have been made to the 498 c.c. twin.
In the engine, aluminium pistons and detachable cylinder heads, held on by three studs, are fitted, the valves are of considerably larger diameter, and the magneto is in front instead of behind. A close ratio gear box, including clutch and kick-starter, will be fitted.
The frame also is entirely new, and closely follows the lines of that fitted to the 350 c.c. model, having a long slope in the top rail. Mounted in this frame is a tank which to all appearances is a unit, though the oil and petrol tanks are entirely separated, having double partitions in between. The rear wheel is quickly detachable, and larger exhaust pipes have been fitted.
Adjustable handle-bars clipped to the head lug have been standardised.
Those who favour the big single type of machine will look in vain for the James example, which has now
been definitely abandoned.
The Motor Cycle November 16th, 1922.
The 1922 Olympia Show.
JAMES. (Stand 75.)
Wide Range Handsomely Finished,
2¾ H.P. Model
73x83.5 mm. (349 c.c) single cyl. four-stroke; side valves; pump lubrication; Mills carb.; chain-driven mag.; 3-sp, gear; clutch and kick-starter; chain drive; 26x2½in. tyres. Price £65.
James Cycle Co., Ltd., Greet, Birmingham.
Principal model on the James stand is the latest type of 349 c.c. single cylinder, which differs considerably from the lines which have been characteristic of the James motor cycle for a good many years. There is a dropped top tube and sloping tank, giving a very low seating position. The engine has a detachable head, inside flywheels, a roller bearing for the big-end, ball bearings, for the crankshaft, and side valves of nickel steel. A three-speed countershaft gear, controlled by a very large gear lever working in a quadrant on the right-hand side of the tank, is fitted.
The little two-stroke model has an engine of 239 c.c. with the fins staggered in the manner to which we have become accustomed for so many years on the James.
The remaining machines on the stand include the 500 c.c. twin (considerably cleaned-up), and the 749 c.c twin, specially designed for sidecar work, while a sectional engine is exhibited to show the working, parts.