LMC were motorcycles produced by them 1903 to 1922.
1903 The first machines were built using the name of the owner, W. J. Lloyd, who was also involved with Quadrant Cycle Co for a time. W. J. Lloyd was a component maker and the early motorcycles were constructed using stock parts from his stores, fitted with Stevens engines. They were typical of the period.
1907 Incorporated as a limited company. Later that year Walter left Quadrant after a substantial disagreement and began his own business.
1908 By now the machines were being sold as LMC, and their 3½ hp single was joined by a 2¾ hp vertical twin, devoid of cooling fins. Cooling was meant to be from the flow of air between the separate cylinders. Although the company claimed that overhearing was not a problem, that engine was not seen again.
1910 Cycle and Motorcycle Exhibition
Lloyd Motor and Engineering Co.
132 Monument Road, Birmingham. Stand No. 95a.
The 1910 model L.M.C. has proved good enough to retain without substantial alteration for 1911; but an alternative pattern is introduced for short riders, the frame of this being brought down some 3ins. lower at the back so that the reach from the saddle to the ground is only 27ins. The L.M.C. Auto Vans pulley and free engine, and L.M.C. footboard starting device form prominent features, while something of a novelty consists in a pillion seat with footboard, rail and guard for a lady passenger. The most interesting item, however, is the new model T.T. pattern, especially the engine, which is to be seen, but on account of pending patents cannot be described at present.
1912 A larger single was added.
1914 Two-speed gearing was used.
1914 Listed as motor cycle manufacturers. Speciality: LMC motorcycles.
1915 A V-twin model joined the range. For an extra two pounds one could have the firm's own LMC two-speed countershaft gearbox. A three-speed S.A. countershaft gearbox was six pounds more expensive.
1916 Other transmission options were offered, including a counter-shaft gearbox.
1919 After the end of World War I, the make returned with a 597cc single and an 842cc V-twin, both with three-speed gearbox.
1920 Only the twin was offered, but it was also available in overseas form with a larger tank and different suspension.
1921 A 960cc V-twin joined the smaller, both had all-chain drive, but there was an option of belt for the 842cc.
1922 These two ran on for the year and then production ceased.
Source: Graces Guide
The Lloyd Motor and Engineering Co., Ltd.
The L.M.C. motor bicycle is one of the finest examples of the British-made touring machine, three in all being shown. The engine is a 3½ h.p., with bore and stroke of 81 x 88. Magneto ignition is fitted as a standard, which is a point well worth consideration, and the magneto drive is carried out in a particularly effective manner. The drive is by means of gear wheels, and alternate bronze and steel wheels are fitted, thus rendering the transmission perfectly silent. Every magneto is adjusted when received at the works, and is guaranteed to start the engine at the first turn of the pedals. The exhaust valve tappet is made reversible, so that if there is excessive wear on one side the tappet can be turned round and the unworn side used, thus prolonging the life of this important part of the engine.
The elbow of the inlet pipe is easily detachable from the pipe itself, and is held in position by means of a stirrup fitted with a small set-screw at the end, rendering the inlet valve easily and quickly accessible. The whole engine is self-contained - that is to say, by removing the bolts which hold the engine to the frame, the magneto, carburetter, and silencer all come away together.
Another interesting point concerning the magneto transmission is that it is self -lubricating from the engine, the oil being delivered from the crank case into the magneto gear case. Every pinion is drilled with a hole running from a space between one of the teeth to the spindle, so that not only the teeth, but also the spindles are properly lubricated. Another interesting point is that every machine is fitted with a leather magneto cover. The levers are held in position by means of a spring pressing against two ... ones, so that it is practically impossible for them to work loose. No joints are made on the connecting rods to the control levers, these being hooked in position. The engine is of ample power, and most efficient, chiefly owing to a patent gudgeon pin, which Mr. Lloyd, the designer, has invented.
The appearance of the machine is distinctly businesslike, and the comfort of the rider has been well studied, that the best type of saddle and spring forks have been provided. Two powerful brakes fitted to the back wheel, one acting on the belt pulley rim operated by a Bowden wire, and the other by means of a pedal acting on a drum screwed on to the rear wheel spindle.
A particularly good stand is also supplied, which will allow the back wheel to be taken out and yet permit of the machine being supported off the ground at the same time. The stand can be put into operation without touching it with the hands, it only being necessary to push the machine forward, when the stand flies back into a horizontal position....
Lloyd Motor and Engineering Co., Ltd.
Three models of the Lloyd 3 1/2 h.p. machine, two to be shown enamelled in green and gold line finish, the other Indian red, and gold line finish. On the stand will be two complete engines mounted on pedestals to show the driving mechanism of the magneto. The Lloyd machine is supplied complete with stand (which is fixed independent of the back axle) a suitable carrier and a set of tools.
The machine has been given most exhaustive tests, and it is claimed that it will attain a speed of forty miles an hour, will climb any hill on a main road without pedal assistance, and can be throttled down to a speed of five miles per hour with the engine beating regularly.
If you have further information or a query related to this page, please contact us