If anything can bear testimony to the quality of the material employed in and the strength of the well-known Quadrant motor-cycles It undoubtedly is the ride that Mr. Thomas Silver, the Bristol manager of the firm, has just accomplished. He rode from John o' Groats to Land's End in 64 hours 29 minutes, starting on Thursday morning at 12, and finishing at 4.29 on Saturday afternoon — a distance of 576 miles — and this with bad roads and most unfavourable weather for quite half the distance. Mr. Silver was timed by an official of the Roads Record Association. It might be mentioned that Mr. Silver, previous to doing this ride, was rather severely knocked about owing to falls, and had only a few days' rest between
Horfield and Bishopston Record and Montepelier & District Free Press Saturday 27 June 1903
The Quadrant Cycle Co., Ltd.
This company will exhibit a full line of motor cycles, but the great novelty on this stand will be the new Tricar with twin engines, which has for a considerable period been occupying the best energies of the designing and manufacturing departments at the Quadrant works, with, we are able to say from practical experience, most successful results. It consists of a 5 h.p. Tricar, having two 2½ h.p. engines of the ordinary Quadrant bicycle model suspended from the framework in a vertical position at the rear of the front seat, the transmission being by means of two V-belts driving on to two pulleys fixed on either side of the rear wheel. By means of a clutch, operated by the pressure of the driver's right foot, and fixed between the two engines (in aline with their crankshafts), these latter can be run either separately or together. The makers claim that by using a pair of air-cooled engines in this manner instead of one larger one, a high power can be obtained without necessitating the employment of water-cooling with all its attendant disadvantages and inconveniences; also that if. one engine should become disabled, the other is available and also that it combines the simplicity the Quadrant engine with the power of small car.
We can say from practical experience that the Quadrant is one of the speediest motor cycles of its size on which we have ever ridden, also that it is an excellent hill climber, and last, but not least (from a passenger's point of view), that in consequence of the novel and effective method in which the front seat is suspended, by means of three vertical coil springs, vibration either from the road or the engines is reduced to a minimum.
The Motor Cycle November 18th, 1903. Page 804
The principal feature which calls for attention in the new model Quadrant motor bicycle is the employment of a spring front fork. The sketch given herewith is almost self-explanatory and descriptive in itself, but a few words upon it may perhaps help the less-versed readers of The Motor Cycle to understand its construction. The front forks take an oval section tubular form for their greater length. From the termination of the tube a forging is projected some six inches below the centre of the hub spindle. A boss is formed in this forging which carries a forwardly-extended link, to which the hub of the front wheel is attached. This extension is mounted on an adjustable ball bearing, and, as may be seen from the sketch, a strong helical spring connects up this link to the extremity of the front fork extension. Several examples of the Quadrant are exhibited, comprising two and three horse-powered machines, both with and without a spring fork. Single-lever control is fitted to many of these, though some are fitted with an exhaust valve lifter, which may be had to order. Special attention is directed to the Quadrant tricycle, which we strongly recommend to the all-the-year-round motor cycle rider. (Stands 13 and 14.)
The Motor Cycle November 25th, 1903. p847
Crystal Palace Show 1903
Quadrant Cycle Co.
Without a doubt the most novel two-seated motorcycle in the show is to be seen on Stands 13 and 14 — the Quadrant Cycle Co. A brief description of this machine appeared in our pages very recently.The principal mechanical features are the employment of two 2½ h.p. motors. These are placed just in the rear of the lower head socket, side by side, and are connected together by means of a free clutch. The disposition of the engines, together with the position of the clutch and the drive, will be seen on reference to the sketch given herewith. For starting one engine is put out of operation, and the machine is started by the other engine only. When necessary, the second engine is thrown into operation by means of a clutch through the agency of a pedal operated by the right foot.
The usual Quadrant controlling features are to be found on this machine. With regard to the framework and seating accommodation, the side members of the frame join up at the fork end, being pressed through across member placed above the side tubes, and forming the fixed axle, to which the engines are attached by a tubular frame connected by means of a tube of T-shaped construction joining up to the bottom bracket. The steering head is continued below the bottom axle, so that the necessity for any long levers between the steering column and the steering wheels is obviated. The front seat is without doubt the neatest of its form ever yet fitted to a forecarriage. In itself it affords a most luxurious seat for the passenger, in addition to giving a decidedly stylish appearance to the machine. Its graceful outlines are depicted in the illustration given herewith. From this it will be noticed that it takes the form of a single bucket seat, such as is already an established favourite in motor car construction.
Its mode of suspension from the frame is unique, it being carried on five helical springs, and to prevent a forward swinging movement, horn plates are fitted on either side, so that its movement is limited to an up-and-down motion alone. Braking power is furnished through the agency of three band brakes, one fitted to each of the steering wheels, and the third to the rear (driven) wheel. It is not alone the comfort of the front passenger that is considered, as rubber-covered footrests are attached to the side members of the frame.(Stands 13-14.)
The Motor Cycle November 25th, 1903. p853
Crystal Palace Show 1903