Few machines can match the history or achievements of the Manx Norton. A mainstay of the Grand Prix Circus in the 1950's and 60's, winning races against technically far more advanced machines and a dominant force in National and club events during the same period, the Manx has gone on to be one of the mainstays of today's classic competitions. The production Manx had gained the McCandless designed "featherbed" frame in 1951 following its debut with the works machines the previous year and would continue in production until the end of 1961, with a few examples being produced in 1962 and '63. During the official ten year production run the machines would benefit from continual development incorporating changes proven on the "works" machines into the following season's production examples.
Revisions to the Manx specification for the 1960 season included the adoption of a glass fibre seat base and fly screen, a redesigned gear pedal linkage and a fluted flat on the megaphone. The clutch centre was reinforced and stronger dowels were fitted to locate the rear sprocket. The following season saw the adoption of an Amal GP2 carburettor, a shorter barrel and a revised valve train.
This example of the 500cc Manx is based on a 1961 "lighthouse tower" twin cam model. The original engine was rebuilt using a set of Summerfield crankcases by well known Manx specialist Phil Kettle for Harry Whitehouse. The chassis is a Mackintosh example conforming to 1961 specifications. An Oldani front brake and a five speed gearbox complete the machine which is described as being in good condition throughout.
Image and description kindly supplied by H&H Classic Auctions