The JES continued in this form for many years and was also built and listed as the City and the Imp.
J. E. Smith, the J.E.S. Motor Works; Gloucester.
1920 The engine was enlarged to 142cc and inclined in the frame, but the original simple concept remained.
1921 Added to the list was a 170cc two-stroke miniature motorcycle with two speeds and a vertical engine.
1922 A single-speed version appeared.
1923 The four-stroke was dropped, but the single-speed two-stroke ran on with a three-speed version. To these were soon added a lightweight with four-speed chain-transmission and the choice of 247cc two-stroke or 249cc ohv Blackburne engines - a move to more conventional machines.
1924 The company acquired the Connaught marque of Birmingham, and for that year there were just two lightweight models. One with the 247cc two-stroke, but the other with a 348cc sv engine. Both had three-speed Burman gearboxes and chain-cum-belt drive. The auxiliary motor set was re-introduced. This was a 123cc two-stroke engine, chain drive and in either gents' or ladies' style of bicycles frame. It was also available as a conversion kit. The make did not survive beyond the end of that year.
The J.E.S. motor cycle returns to Olympia with a splendid reputation accruing from several years' service. It is a machine which forms a step between the auxiliary-powered pedal cycle and the motorcycle of conventional type.
Several models will be exhibited, including single and two-speed two-stroke machines having a bore and stroke of 60x60 mm. (170 c.c). The single-speed models are now obtainable with a free engine clutch pulley.
J.E.S. miniature machines will also be exhibited with a new four-stroke engine of 60x60 mm. (170 c.c), and a lady's model fitted with this engine will be staged.
If you have further information or a query related to this page, please contact us