They built Connaught motorcycles from 1912 to 1926
1912 The first machine was exhibited at the Olympia Show. They had one basic model, with a 293cc petroil-lubricated two-stroke engine and Amac carburettor at the rear of the cylinder. The engine design was quite advanced and inside it had a one-piece crankshaft, a connecting rod with split big-end and a deflector piston. It also had belt drive, single speed and sprung forks.
1914 Various transmissions were available to offer one, two or three speeds and belt or chain-cum-belt drive. There was also a ladies' version and all had the same engine. An oil receptacle, held by bayonet joint to a tap on the oil tank, enabled the rider to draw off a measured amount to mix with the petrol.
1915-1916 The range continued for those two years and then production ceased for the remainder of the Great War.
1919 They returned after the war with single or two-speed variants plus a Miniature model that had smaller, 24-inch wheels. For the next few years there was little change.
1922 The Miniature was dropped and a 348cc two-stroke model appeared. This had a three-speed Burman gearbox and all-chain drive.
1923 Various machines of various specifications continued to be produced, including a complete sidecar outfit with a larger engine.
1924 The marque was bought by the J. E. S. Motor Company and production moved to Gloucestershire for a while, before going back to Birmingham.
British Engine Builder
Fitted to numerous British and European motorcycles.
Warland-Blackburne was a motorcycle produced in 1923, by the Bordesley Engineering Company, of New Bond street, Birmingham.
This was a reasonably priced machine fitted with a 348cc sv Blackburne engine with three-speeds and all-chain drive, Druid side-spring forks, BTH magneto and an Amac carburettor. As these were all industry standards and available in quantity, the retail selling price was kept low.
If you have further information or a query related to this page, please contact us
Triumph, BMW, & Kawasaki Sales Spares & Repairs.
Established for over 40 years and run by expert motorcyclists.
Fully authorised workshop.