emu
Peugeot Motorcycles

Peugeot 1926 Models

Peugeot 350 M2 1926

Si l'on sait beaucoup de choses sur la 500 bicylindre M2, on ne sait presque rien sur la 350 monocylindre de même type. En 1998, on ignorait encore jusqu'à son existence, aucune revue d'époque n'en avait parlé !

Et pourtant, il en existait toujours un exemplaire, n'ayant même changé qu'une seule fois de mains... Le premier propriétaire connu de cette 350, qui l'a très probablement achetée neuve chez Peugeot lors de la fermeture du Service des Courses en 1927, fut un certain M.Fayet, ancien coureur sociétaire du Moto-Club d'Auvergne : le bouchon du réservoir d'huile est d'ailleurs gravé à son nom. En 1950, la 350 M2 fut vendue à Fernand Chadrin, un Clermontois, au prix de 12.000 francs, soit environ 20 % du prix d'une 125 neuve. Fernand Chadrin la fit immatriculer, s'en servit quelques années puis la revendit au début des années soixante; n'ayant jamais été payé par l'acquéreur, il la récupéra quelques années plus tard. Assez récemment, l'un de ses fils s'intéressa à nouveau à cette moto laissée en sommeil, se documenta auprès de l'Aventure Peugeot qui possédait encore des calques originaux, puis effectua une remise en état : aujourd'hui, la 350 M2 tourne à nouveau à merveille, et témoigne à la fois du génie mécanique d'Antonesco et d'une période de grande gloire sportive de Peugeot.


Much is known about the 500 M2 vertical twin, but comparitively little about the 350 single cylinder version. Until 1998, its existence was still unknown as there had been no reference to it in literature of the period.

However, an example existed, having changed hands only once. The first known owner of the 350, who is thought to have bought the Peugeot at the end of the Service des Races in 1927, was a M. Fayet, former racing member of the Moto-Club d'Auvergne - the cap of the oil tank is engraved with his name. In 1950, the 350 M2 was sold to Fernand Chadrin, a Clermontois, for the sum of 12,000 francs, or about 20% of the price of a new 125. M. Chadrin had it registered, used it for a few years, and then sold it in the early sixties. The purchaser failed to pay him, and he recovered it a few years later and it remained in his possession for a considerable time thereafter. One of his sons then took an interest in the dormant machine. Gerard Chadrin documented an example at the l'Aventure Peugeot Museum which still had original paint, then carried out a restoration. Today, the 350 M2 runs very nicely and bears witness both to the mechanical engineering of Antonesco and a period of great sporting glory of the Peugeot marque.

Source: Thomas Bersy


Peugeot 500 M2 Grand Prix 1926

In 1922, engineer Lessman Antonesco joined Peugeot. He developed a new parallel twin using the bottom end of the earlier 500M designed by Ernest Henry in 1913.

The 500M2 was added to the range in 1922, designated the M2 Grand Prix, the name being changed to Moto spéciale de Sport for the 1924-26 seasons.

This machine achieved many victories, with Gillard winning the Monza Grand Prix in 1923, and later taking many records at Montlhéry.

If you have a query or information about Peugeot motorcycles please contact us