Rex-Acme Motorcycles

Today in Motorcycle History

Rex Motorcycles for 1911

The Rex Motor Manufacturing Co., Ltd.

Earlsdon, Coventry. Stand No, 62.
The Rex Co. naturally have a very fine exhibit, and it will be seen that there are several improvements, notably in the twin-cylinder patterns, all of which now have mechanically-operated inlet valves - a really great advance. The magneto is now placed at the back of the engine, and is gear-driven. The petrol tank is larger and the filling cap is large, and the centre is of glass so that the amount of spirit in the tank can be seen without removing the cap. Little things like this go far towards the comfort of the rider, and will be fully appreciated by motor-cyclists.

One of the special features of the Rex Co.'s productions is a really lightweight twin-cylinder machine, which scales about 112 lbs. The Rex arrangement of securing the front wheel in the fork and yet enabling it to be very quickly removed by merely taking off one nut is naturally retained. All the 1911 new models are provided with footboards, no pedalling gear being fitted. In the case of the free engine model a push-down starting pedal is provided.

Amongst the company's productions is an original pattern side-car, called the Sidette, in which the side wheel steers in conjunction with the front wheel. This machine has had a very considerable testing and has proved extremely satisfactory and is great advance upon the ordinary side-car. In the case of the 3.5 H.P. "De Luxe" a free engine and a two-speed gear operated by one lever is fitted, whilst the 3.5 H.P. "Tourist" is provided with a free engine and the Rex cone clutch.

Olympia Show, November 1910


MANY readers may have wondered why they have not obtained delivery of 1911 pattern Rex motor cycles ordered at the Show. The reason is that Mr. W. Williamson, the managing director of the company, has been busy before and since the date of the Show in re-organising the works and arranging for an increased output. Several alterations have been made in the design of the engines which have entailed a greatly increased number of parts.

For one thing, the change in the position of the magneto and the alteration from chain to gear transmission has more than trebled the number of gear wheels used. This has necessitated laying down a number of gear cutting machines, and more are on order will be installed very shortly. In addition, the whole of the works has been sub-divided into sections and arranged in such a manner that the production of the machines is progressive from the time the raw material enters the factory until it emerges in the form of the finished article and is packed for delivery.

The viewing is now very complete, and no parts are allowed to enter the finished stores until they have passed the examiners, who test each machined portion of the engine, gear and free engine hub with special gauges. Mr. Williamson told us he had experienced some difficulty in getting the internal cones of the free engine hub properly ground, but by the establishment of the firm's own grinding plant this trouble has now been overcome, with the result that the clutch works far more smoothly and can be slipped for some considerable time without detriment. Oil has been found unsuitable for this particular clutch, and grease has been substituted with excellent results.

Arrangements are also being made for an extension of the premises at Easter, when some old parts of the works will be dismantled and the addition of a new wing will make for general cleanliness and improved lighting.

In our tour round the various shops we noticed an alteration to the Rex footboards. The new patterns are made with a wood foundation covered with a sheet of aluminium, on which are formed studs to give. a firm hold for the feet. They supersede the metal ones with pedal rubbers which were exhibited at Olympia.

Finally, the firm has installed an electric lighting plant. and just before we left we were able to see the whole of the factory illuminated in a most efficient manner by the new system.

Motor Cycling, Jan 26th 1911