In the late 1940s sales of Italian scooters were making strong inroads on the market for French lightweights, and in response Terrot set about designing its own machines. A modern production line was built at the factory Lentillères in Dijon
The plan was to build a cheap and reliable machine in considerable numbers to satisfy the growing demand for scooters in France, and to export them to the colonies and elsewhere.
The first of the breed, the VMS, arrived in 1952 powered by the MTR 100cc engine and a 2-speed gearbox with foot change. It has a tubular frame and pressed-metal bodywork, and a 7 litre fuel tank below the solo saddle. Any colour you like as long as it's red.
This machine was marketed by Magnat-Goyon as the S1.
The following year saw the introduction of the VMS 2 which has basically the same appearance but with a more powerful 125cc engine and optional colours. The 100cc machine remained in the catalog as the VMS 1 and the same options including colours were available. It was listed in the M-D catalogue as the S25. 1954 saw the introduction of "port holes" in the bodywork along with new options including windscreen, passenger grabrail and luggage box.
Late that year, at the Paris Salon, the VMS 3 appeared with a three-speed gearbox, handlebar gear change, larger tyres and brakes, a faired spare wheel, larger fuel tank and a host of cosmetic changes. It was a new machine.
During the 1955 season the VMS 3 was renamed the Scooterrot, and the colour options were extended. The VMS 1 and 2 remained in the catalogue.
During 1956 the VMS 1 was dropped.
1957 was the last year for Terrot scooters.