In 1926 BMW introduced the successor to the R32. The R 42 had a similar 500cc SV flat-twin engine, but power output had been increased to 12hp (9 kW). The frame and suspension remained almost entirely unchanged, but the rear brake mounted on the drive shaft was a new feature. Sales of the new model more than doubled largely due to a price reduction of 30 per cent.
Photographed at the BMW Museum, Munich, July 2010. Credit ManxNorton.com