Levis motorcycles (1911–1940), manufactured by Butterfields of Birmingham, were for many years one of England's leading manufacturers of two-stroke motorcycles. They built two-stroke machines from 1911, and added a line of four-strokes in 1928, that ran to 1941 when production ceased.
The first Levis was made in the Norton works by designer Howard (Bob) Newey, but James Norton turned it down.
Newey then joined with the Butterfields, Arthur and Billy, and sister Daisy, to set up a motorcycle company. (Newey later married Daisy.) Their first model had a capacity of 211 cc.
In 1916 the 211cc vertical two-stroke engine produced 3hp (2.2 kW). An enclosed chain from the crankshaft drove the Fellows magneto and drive to the rear wheel was by Pedley ‘Vee’ belt. The machine weighed approximately 120 lb (54kg).
Their first racing success was in the 1920 Lightweight 250 class within the 1920 Isle of Man TT Junior with a 247 cc machine, repeated in the 1922 Isle of Man TT Lightweight race. They then adopted the slogan, "The Master Two Stroke".
Information and images courtesy Bretti Brothers
More information at Bretti Brothers EMU Contributor Page