Frame Nr.: M30 54125 Engine Nr.: E11 29058
Year: 1950 cc: 500
Documents: registered vehicle
One of the most charismatic model names in motorcycling history, 'International' was first used by Norton for its top-of-the-range sports roadster in 1932. The Inter's overhead-camshaft engine had been developed in the works racers for the preceding two years, and although it retained the classic 79x100mm bore/stroke dimensions and shaft-and-bevels cam drive of the existing CS1, was entirely new. Based on the works bikes and intended for racing, the International could nevertheless be ordered with refinements such as lights and a kick-starter equipped gearbox. By the time production halted in 1939 it was being built with a four-speed foot-change 'box and plunger rear suspension (the 'Garden Gate' frame), reappearing after the war in similar guise save for the adoption of the hydraulically-damped Roadholder front fork, which replaced the pre-war girder. The Inter remained fundamentally unchanged until 1953 when it gained the Featherbed frame, all-alloy engine and 'laid down' gearbox.