SINCE early in 1915 Messrs. H. Collier and Sons have been experimenting with spring frames for motor cycles, and no doubt, but for the war, a spring frame Matchless would have been offered to the public in 1916. In 1915 we described a flat twin Matchless which embodied a spring frame with coil springs, and the new Model H, as the Peace model is called, has a springing device which is a modified design of that fitted to the flat twin, and gives an exceptionally large movement to the rear wheel. As will be seen from the accompanying illustration, the springing system differs in many respects from others embodying coil springs, which are carried at the outer corners of two triangular members rigid with the frame. The wheel fork is pivoted at its inner end, and a substantial loop passes vertically over the wheel, having at its lower end lugs for carrying the springs.
We shall shortly describe this new model more fully; in the meantime it suffices to say that the design embodies more features not apparent from the photograph. One of these is an ingenious arrangement of linking both driving and sidecar wheels. This synchronises the movements of both wheels, and prevents the driving wheel from leaning when turning corners.
Other features include an automatic exhaust valve lifter connected to the starting pedal, and interchangeable wheels.
The Motor Cycle, May 22nd, 1919. p523