Reg Number: N/A
Frame Number: T.B.A.
Engine Number: T.B.A.
Used by the NSU works team in 1953 and 1954
The Rennmax made its debut at the start of the 1952 World Championship season and displayed from the outset the qualities required to compete at the highest level. Although the Italian teams entered the 1953 season as favourites to win the 250cc Championship ultimately it was Werner Haas and NSU who secured it with 28 points following wins at the Dutch TT and West German Grand Prix , 5 more than his nearest rival and fellow NSU rider Reg Armstrong, mounted on the machine shown. The 1953 success was followed by an even more impressive season in 1954 when Werner Haas won every 250cc race that he entered to secure the Championship. Once again he was supported by Reg Armstrong on the machine displayed here.
Originally to be used in 1953 by Bill Lomas but due to injury the bike was given to new team member Reg Armstrong who finished in 2nd place in the 250 World Championship with wins in the Ulster and Swiss GPs.
He used the machine the following year and achieved 9th place overall.
In 1958 the bike was presented to Reg Armstrong for Geoff Duke to use in the Northwest 200, Austrian GP and the Isle of Man using a new spine frame designed by Ken Sprayson of Reynolds tube company, Unfortunately Duke achieved very little success due to minor problems with the machine.
From 1960 Irishman Dickie Carter used the bike for Reg Armstrong and won the Leinster 200 in 1960, 1962, 1963 and 1964 with the lap record on each occasion. He achieved many successes in other Irish events in the same period.
Reg Armstrong sold the machine in 1964 and was used by the new owner in club and national events and eventually passed on to the present owner in 2001.
The original works frame, swing arm and forks and many other original spares are offered with the bike.
Image and description kindly supplied by H&H Classic Auctions