1896 The firm started to produce powered machines and, during an exhibition at the Crystal Palace, demonstrated a motorcycle fitted with 1.25hp Minerva engine. Approximately 250 people tried it out without mishap.
1900 The firm started using the MMC engine, with belt drive, hung from the downtube.
1904 Several motorcycle models were now in production and some had water cooling.
c1905 Trade was poor, so motorcycle production ceased.
When they entered the car business they used the name Bayliss-Thomas as there was already a Belgian car called the Excelsior. The prototypes had three wheels and air-cooled engines, but production vehicles were conventional 9-13 hp four wheelers and around 1000 were made.
1912 Spennell's lists them at Excelsior Works, Stoney Stanton Rd (Tel. 497) and manufacturers of motorcycles.
1920 A much wider range of models was introduced. That year they were incorporated as a private company.
1921 The firm moved to Kings Road, Tyseley, Birmingham, and started to trade as the Excelsior Motor Co.. The Walker family (father Reginald and son Eric) took over and after a couple of years, they dropped the original name of Bayliss, Thomas and Co.
1924 The company produced a 600cc side-valve single. Two more models were added with a 545cc Blackburne engine, one for sidecar work and the other a TT model.
A report from the 1924 Motor Cycle Show reads:
Wright's One-way Speed.
JUST over 163 m.p h. was achieved by the English rider, J. S. Wright, and his Silver Comet Excelsior-J.A.P. machine at Tat, Hungary, recently. Several of his attempts on his own world's maximum speed record have been dogged with ill-luck, but newspaper advices from England disclose that, determined to break the record, he was staying on until he succeeded.
First of all, trouble with the rear piston set in, and then the supercharger went on strike, and Wright could not cover the course in both directions, as is required. A new blower was sent to him, but, as the cables have been silent concerning him, the attempts probably failed. Trove NLA Brisbane Courier Dec 3, 1931
Trove NLA Brisbane Courier Dec 3, 1931
1950 Became a public company.
1952 A Sports version was added.
1953 The Universal was replaced by the Courier with a 147cc Excelsior engine. Another new model was the Consort with a 99cc Villiers 4F engine in basic cycle parts.
1954 In came the Roadmaster with an 8E engine and pivoted-fork rear suspension, which also went on the twins.
1957 Saw the introduction of the Skutabyk, with side panels and a fully enclosed engine unit. The range continued to grow until the end of the decade, then sales began to slow.
1959 The company released the Monarch, a re-badged DKR scooter with an Excelsior 147cc engine.
1960s The scooter had new bodywork and more variants, but this had little effect on sales and the range, including the Monarch, was reduced. Even the production of purchase tax exempt models in kit form failed to revive interest.
1961 Employed 350 persons. Manufacturers of auto and motor-cycles with engines from 98-238 cc; the 492 cc three-cylinder two-stroke Talisman engine for light cars; Pyramid electric trucks and Walker motor-cycle accessories. Trade names are Autobyk, Roadmaster, Universal, Skutabyke, Consort and Condor.
1963 The range was reduced to two models with Villiers engines.
1965 Both the above models had gone, the marque came to an end and the name passed to the Britax organization.
Note: Other products of the post-war era included outboard motors and marine engine gearboxes, and Villiers-powered industrial trolleys. Berkeley SE328 and T60 Sports Cars also used Excelsior Villiers engines.
If you have further information or a query related to Excelsior please contact us