1929 NSU 201 TS
Estimate: (£) 4,500 - 5,500
Frame Number: 822478
Engine Number: 117068
Body Colour: Red
NSU entered motorcycle production in 1901 with a one-and-half horsepower Zedel engined machine, marketed under the Neckarsulm Motorrad trade mark. This was quickly followed by machines using both single and twin cylinder engines of their own manufacture. An interesting design feature of the pioneer NSU products was the use of a contracting band front brake and the company pioneered the use of rear suspension, offering a coil sprung frame as an option prior to the First World War. The 1920's saw an expansion in the range of models offered, with unit construction singles in the smaller capacities complimented by large capacity vee twins, however, as the decade ended and the effects of the Great Depression took hold the company suffered a decline in fortune.
In response to this they employed former Norton designer, Walter Moore and completely overhauled the range, adopting modern features such as saddle tanks. These measures, supported by the success of the works team, resulted in NSU becoming one of the largest manufacturers of motorcycles worldwide by the middle of the decade.
The little unit construction 201 TS shared its engine with the 201 T, both displacing 199cc and built in unit with the gearbox, however the TS, which was introduced for the 1930 model season, featured more up to date styling characterized by a saddle tank. The side valve engine was claimed to produce 4.5 PS, sufficient to propel the machine to 65 Km/h and came fully equipped with electric lights and a rear carrier. In total approximately 12,500 T's and TS were produced (though, the slightly "vintage" T only remained in the catalogue for a season).
The example of a 201 TS offered is described as being in "good condition overall" having been restored to a high standard.
The Pavilion Gardens: 08/06/2011 Motorcycle Auction
Courtesy H&H Classic Auctions