Australian & NZ Motorcycles

Australian Motorcycles (N)

Nella

Geo. Allen of Nella Cycle Works at 530 Church Street, Richmond advertised in Feb 1910 "MOTOR AND CYCLE ENGINEER, Machines Built to Order. Exchanges & Accessories"

In 1915 advertisments read, "Best Enamelling, Electroplating. 'The Nella.' New address, 398-400 Elizabeth Street, Melbourne"

"The "Nella" sign in the left ground floor window of the building [Finlay Bros, 322 Elizabeth St, c.1910] is thought to refer to the Nella Enamelling Company, run by Mr Henry Allen (Nella being his surname spelt backwards). They were based in Knox Place, a laneway behind Elizabeth Street. Their business would have been involved in doing paintwork on bicycles and may have used part of the Finlay Bros premises." ~ http://www.finlaybrothershistory.info/page40.html

It is not clear whether Nella motorcycles were built - they are not mentioned in Saward.

Sources: Trove, finlaybrothershistory.info


NSW

"Of the riders getting over 35 minutes' start, Featherstone, just arrived from England, is competing on a N.S.W. motor of 3 h. p."
The Sydney Morning Herald, Sat 30 Sep 1905

Two of these appeared in the South Australia registry in 1920, likely transfers or re-registrations.

16463.- R. C. G. Anderson, Mile-End. 3 (h.p.) N.S.W.
Registered SA March 1920

16489.- F. K. G. Boase, Mile-End, 3½ (h.p.) N.S.W.
Registered SA April 1920
Source: Trove NLA.


NZeta 1961-1963 (NZ)