Australian & NZ Motorcycles

Australian Motorcycles (W)

Wagener of Adelaide


Walker Bullpup

Built in 1927 using a 980cc V-Twin, it appears to be a one-off and does not appear in Saward. The machine, reg# OT891, is discussed in an article in The Classic Motorcycle of March 2021.

Source: ozebook.com


Waratah


Watson (Adelaide)

Believed to have been built in Unley, Adelaide, around 1905.

"Claud Kerrison has just arrived in Adelaide after doing a thousand miles tour around the Peninsular and North country on his Watson motor cycle." Quiz (Adelaide, SA) Fri 3 Nov 1905

Source: Trove NLA
Other marques with this name: Disambiguation


Watson (Sydney)

A motorcycle of this brand is listed as being built in Sydney prior to WWI.

The Sun newspaper of 25th March 1913 writes: "A little time ago Mr. Daft took over Mr. Frank Watson's cycle works at Burwood."

bicycles.net.au lists:
Watson, R., Sydney Road, Granville, 1910
Watson, George R., 88 South Street, Granville, 1911-1932

Sources: Simon Fleming, Trove NLA


West

Manufactured by West's Cycles, 769 Hay Street. Perth, WA

Built in 1920 using single-cylinder J.A.P. 2½ h.p. engines, a 2-speed Burman gearbox and other English components, they were painted French grey with green trim, with the frame, spokes, rims and guards etc in black enamel.

WEST CYCLES

A Local Product

A wonderful machine is the locally-built J.A.P.-engined West motor cycle, samples of which can be inspected at 769 Hay-street. The builders challenge comparison with other machines, and defy financial considerations.

A handy list of motor accessories, parts, spares, tools, and sundries, together with tires, etc., are obtainable at the Agency, and each item is priced at the lowest figure compatible with the provision of quality and service possibilities.

Call (Perth, WA) Fri 8 Oct 1920


The Motor Cycle that is built to suit West Australian Conditions
Write or call now for further information. Only a few left.

SPECIFICATION AND EQUIPMENT,
Engine: 2½ h.p. J.A.P., latest Type.
Carburetter: Brown and Barlow.
Magneto: Thomspon Bennett (Water-proof). All British.
Gear Box: "Burnam" [sic] 2 Speed with Hand Control Clutch and Positive Kick Start,
Forks: Druid (Latest Type).
Saddles Lycett (De Luxe), extra large.
Wheels: 25 x 2 1/2 Built with 10 gauge Spokes and Nipples.
Tyres: Dunlop, or own selection.
Hubs: British Hub Coy. (extra large and strong), 7-16 Axles.
Mudguards: Wide, with Valances.
Belts: English Dunlop, 3/4 in.
Oiling: Best and Lloyd. Semi-automatic Sight Feed.
Control: Bowden, with Water proof Casing.
Tranmission: Chain Brampton, 1/2 x 3-16 extra strong (covered with strong Steel Cover).
Brake: Rear Wheel, Heal operation.
Footboards: Aluminium
Finish: Frame, Wheels, Hubs, Spokes, Black Enamel (4 coats), Tank — French Grey, with Green panels and lines.
Capacity: 1 gallon Petrol; 1 pint Oil.
Mileages 100 per gallon

SPECIAL PRICE FOR TWO WEEKS ONLY- £100.
WEST CYCLES LTD., 769 HAY STREET, PERTH

The Daily News (Perth) Sat 2 Apr 1921

Source: Trove NLA


Whalley

Albert Whalley of North Brunswick, Melbourne, is listed as having constructed motorcycles with Fafnir engines in 1911-1912.

Albert James Whalley was fined ten shillings for speeding on his motor cycle along Sydney Road, Brunswick, in 1910. Other than this the press was silent on his exploits.

Sources: Simon Fleming, Trove NLA


Whitbourn

Saward lists Walter Whitbourn Pty. Ltd. of Melbourne as producing two motorcycles of 2¾ h.p. in 1910. These are not mentioned in the newspapers of the day.

The agents, Walter Whitbourn Pty. Ltd., 58 a'Beckett-street, have only been able to land a small shipment, consisting of complete cars and chassis. Intending purchasers should take an early opportunity of inspecting, as it is very problematical how long the few cars at present in stock will remain unsold...

Graphic of Australia (Melbourne, Vic.) Fri 7 Jun 1918


Walter Whitbourn Pty. Ltd.
Phone 8081. 58 A'BECKETT STREET, Oakland Cars

The Herald (Melbourne, Vic) Mon 31 Jul 1916

Whitbourn advertised Paige cars in 1919

Sources: Simon Fleming; Trove NLA


Wimmera

Manufactured in 1914/1915 by Wimmera Motor and Engineering Works of Stawell, Victoria, run by Deards and Akins. The address was given as "Behind Post Office".

In December of 1915 the business had changed hands. New partners were Young and Ledgar, but there was no further word of the Wimmera motor cycle. In December of 1917 the address was Wimmera Street, Stawell, and they were selling Ford cars.

In 1920 they advertised Studebaker and Palm cars, and Indian motor cycles.

New Partnership

Messrs H. Deards and C. H. Akins intimate that they have entered into partnership and will conduct the Wimmera Motor and Engineering Works, which are fully equipped with a complete up-to-date plant. The firm is prepared to build motor-cycles, with which they will give a guarantee. Under the new management every effort will be made to give satisfaction to their clients.

Stawell News and Pleasant Creek Chronicle (Vic.) Sat 25 Jul 1914


Wimmera Motor and Engineering Works

Messrs Deards and Akins, of the Wimmera motor and engineering works, Stawell, build and guarantee the Wimera motor cycle, one of which we inspected the other day. It is a fine machine, admirably adapted for its purpose, and thoroughly reliable. This enterprising firm has many "spokes to its wheel," for it installs electric lights and bells, overhauls cars, cleans engines, and is agent for the famous Dunlop tyres. All accessories, oil, petrol and other necessaries are stocked.

Stawell News and Pleasant Creek Chronicle (Vic.) Tue 27 Apr 1915

Source: Trove NLA


Windsor

A. W. Johnson of 6 Chapel Street Windsor, Melbourne, is listed as a motorcycle manufacturer in 1912-1913 using British and Continental engines. The only advertisement in Victorian newspapers of the era which has surfaced mentions bicycles, but not motorcycles.

Windsor, built to order, . from £7 10/; small deposit, 3/6 weekly; satisfaction guaranteed.
A. W. Johnson, 6 Chapel-st., Windsor.

The Age (Melbourne, Vic.) Sat 29 Jun 1912

Source: Trove NLA


Winton

Manufactured by Alexander Johnson, 171 St. George's Road, North Fitzroy, Melbourne in 1909 and 1910.

ALEXANDER JOHNSON,
CYCLE and MOTOR MECHANIC,
171 St. George's Road, NORTH FITZROY.
Builder of the "WINTON" Cycles and Motors.
Motor Car Tyres Supplied and Repaired.
Gas & Oil Engines repaired. Sundries Stocked.

Table Talk (Melbourne, Vic.) Thu 4 Aug 1910

Similar advertisements appeared from Oct 1909 to Oct 1910. There are no other mentions of the marque other than the well-known American machines built by Alexander Winton.

Source: Trove NLA

N.B. Perhaps there is a relationship between the Winton by Alexander Johnson of 1909-1910 and the Windsor of A.W. Johnson of 1911, built just a few miles apart.


Wizard

Indications are that this was built in Kadina in 1914 or slightly earlier. Middlebrook's of nearby Wallaroo appear frequently in the press in those years but do not advertise that they build motorcycles.

Kadina Motor Garage of Digby Street sold Humber motorcycles in 1910.

P. L. Annear's Motor and Cycle Works of Wallaroo advertised Rudge and Douglas in 1915, and also that year there was an Empire Cycle store in Hallett St.

Vivian Lewis had a branch in Kadina from 1910 into the 1920s.

SA Registrations 1918
12272. L J. McLean. Wallaroo. 2½ Wizard.
12724. A. E. Addicoat., 8 Jaffrey Street, Parkside 2½ Wizard

FOR SALE, Cheap — Four 2 Stroke MotorCycles. James, Hockley, Radco, Wizard. Apply - MIDDLEBROOK'S Motor Garage, Wallaroo.

The Kadina and Wallaroo Times (SA) Sat 29 Dec 1917
(Wallaroo is 9km west of Kadina. Hockley is another Australian brand.)


Two or three business places changed hands last week, the principal one being Mr H. A. Middlebrook'a motor garage to Mr O. Palmer. Mr Middlebrook conducted a large business in Owen Terrace, and was highly respected as a townsman and business man. He and his family are removing to Adelaide.

Eyre's Peninsula Tribune (Cowell, SA) Fri 31 May 1918

Source: Trove NLA


  • Wood & Co 1901-03 (NZ)
  • Woolston

    Manufactured by B. B. Woolston, Eudunda in 1905 using Minerva and Brown engines.

    B. B. WOOLSTON'S

    Cycle and Motor Building Establishment,
    Cycles built to Order from £7 10s
    Best Motors only Built to Order. Brown or Minerva. Prices from £45 to £60,

    A Real First-class Minerva Motor, B.3.A. parts, 3 1/2 hp-, for sale at £50, only just tested. This a bargain. Trial given.

    A FIRST-CLASS EDISON CONCERT PHONOGRAPH, 5-inch cylinder and 14 records, for sale at £12 10s. Bargain. Cost £40. Write for particulars.

    WATCHES, CLOCKS. JEWELLERY, AND ALL KINDS OF REPAIRS

    Kapunda Herald (SA ) Fri 26 May 1905

    There was also an F. W. Woolston of Jamestown (about 100 miles away) who had S.A. registration numbers 121 and 122 in 1907. In 1911 he had #1573, with a De Dion Bouton engine.

    Source: Trove NLA


    Wyatt S.A.