Built at 3 rue Lesueur in Le Havre in 1906 by M. E. Fontaine, the motorcycle has a 401cc engine. Following its sale by Yesterdays in 2004 it was restored between 2005 and 2007. It is believed to be unique.
Sources: bonhams.com, yesterdays.nl
Manufactured around 1933 by the Gardette firm in the Villefranche sur Saone region.
A 1933 model exists with a 100cc Stainless engine, with an AYA clutch in the rear wheel hub. It is fitted with an AMAC T41 carburetor, has 2 speeds, and has a MEA B 1 magneto. The seat is from Lamplugh.
The dealer plate on the front guard is by P. Felide, Le Coteau (Loire).
Joël Guilet designed the ERS for the Paris-Dakar in which it raced from 1987 to 1989. Using a BMW air-cooled twin housed in a a carbon-fibre frame which weighed a mere 6kg, it had a 64 litre tank which damped fuel movement with a foam bladder.
The designer André de Cortanze with oil company Elf, and later in collaboration with Honda, built a variety of racing motorcycles. In 1978 the first machines used a Yamaha TZ750 engine in a frame utilising hub centre steering and carbon fibre brake discs. In 1982 they changed to 1000cc Honda engines for long-distance events like the Bol d'Or, and then built GP machines powered by NS500 Honda v-four two-strokes.
Despite the enormous amount of development devoted to the motorcycles, few notable results were achieved on the the track. Honda purchased many of the patents which the team registered, but eventually only one was adopted on production machines, the single-sided swinging arm suspension.
The Elf name also appeared on the Alain Michel LCR Krauser.
Sources: wikipedia.nl, moto-collection.org
Manufactured by Elvish-Fontan in Bordeaux. Another address is 64 rue de Livron, Pau, where they built bicycles.
Established in 1883 in England as a cycle company, production moved to France after WWI with famed cyclist Victor Fontan in partnership with M. Grosnier.
In 1929 they built a SV 250cc JAP powered motorcycle of quite modern appearance with saddle tank, drum front brake and girder forks. A Cucciolo-powered moped was presented at the 1951 Salon.
Source: Amis Terriens, Chez Alice, encycloduvelo.fr
Ets E M A, 192 Avenue du Maine, Paris 14°
Built 48ccc engines 1950-51
Source: La Moto Francaise
1902 6 Rue de Rennes, Nantes
Later at 20 rue de Versailles in Nantes
Manufacturer: G. Fournier
In 1907, Monluc de Lariviere and Sauzereau, manufacturers, motorcycle with 2hp engine
Manufactured by the brothers Jean and Claudius Martin in Charlieu (Loire), the first motorcycles were built in 1927, the 175 Type A.
From 1932 until 1939 they built motorcycles using Chaise, Stainless and JAP up to 350cc. The factory moved to Roanne in 1933 with premises at 43 rue Jean Jaurès and rue Poisson.
The firm also built bicycles, sewing machines, children's cars and kitchen appliances. Eriole is an anagram of Loire.
Source: Motos dans la Loire
Moteurs et Motocycles Etoile, Paris, built lightweights using 98cc two-stroke engines from Aubier Dunne and others up to 198cc.
Sources: Tragatsch p129, wikipedia.nl
Manufactured initially by T. Maret who built bicycles as early as 1885 and later built tricycles and "motocyclettes" the firm was taken over by Francis Arnaud of Isère, near Lyon.
In 1907 they presented an Excelsior-Bruneau, built under licence to Rochet-Bruneau. It was all but identical to that of Rochet, Georges Richard, Roland, Regina and others.
Motocyclette with 2 ¼hp engine, 1904