French

Motocyclettes fabriquées en France (H)

Notes on some of the rarer French marques

This page lists brands for which we currently have only an historical precis. There is also a page on really obscure French brands.
For a more complete listing visit the French Index.


H Errard
20 Rue Réaumu, Paris (Sales)
Established in the early 1930s as a bicycle manufacturer, having taken over from ZAS cycles (est. 1924) by 1955 the firm's factory at 3 Rue Palissy, St Etienne, had a workforce of 110 people when they merged with the Cocymo group. Their motorcycles were marketed under the Métropole brand from 1945 until 1959. During those years they were one of the "constructeurs réunis", with Piat and Randoin.

Source: Motos dans la Loire


H. Mathevet

42 Rue du 11 novembre, St Etienne

In the late 20s and early 30s the firm built frames for bicycles and motorcycles. It appears that they built the Wéthy brand of bicycles and light motorcycles.

Source: Motos dans la Loire




Hallot

1904

Ets Giron,
38 rue Vanneau, Paris

Built motorcycles with using Z.L. V-twin and single cylinder engines

Bourdache p436


Hammon et Mouter
Hammond et Monnier were bicycle dealers who presented a machine at the 1902 Paris Salon. They sold the firm to the Duc d'Uzes around 1907. It is unclear whether they built motocyclettes, but as their main trade was bicycles this seems likely.
Bourdache p146


Hanzer Frères
4 rue Baudin, Ivry (seine)
1899, Motor tricycle
Bourdache p436


Harding-1912-12-TMC-1065.jpg

Harding-JAP 1912
Two views of the 3½ h.p. Harding-Jap, a twin-cylinder machine built in France with British parts throughout.

Harding-JAP

Built in by HJ Harding in St. Cyr, Paris, using British components, it was powered by a JAP V-twin 496cc engine and used a Bowden 2-speed gearbox, Druid forks and a Chater-Lea frame. Production began in 1912 and ceased at the outbreak of war.

Sources: Tragatsch p155, The Motor Cycle.






Harlette

Société Françse des Étabts GOODE et Cie 32 et 34. Rue Pierret - Neuilly-sur-Seine

The Harlette was built in Italy, France and Austria. See also Mas Harlette and Harlette Geco

Source: Period literature




Harrissard
G. HARRISSARD et Cie, Constructeurs. 33, Rue G.-H.-Marsaud GENNEVILLIERS (Seine)
Harrissard engines were fitted to CP Roleo, and were probably used by Durandal. There is an article in la Revue du Motocyclettiste N°101 : Découverte: Les moteurs Harrissard.




Harwill

Manufactured by Huber et Bailleul, 43 et 45, rue Jules-Ferry, Bagnolet (Seine)

At least two models were available in 1925, the Modele L and the Modele S. They had two-stroke engines of 150cc (56x60mm) and 175cc (62x69mm).

Sources: Period literature


Hasty
1930-34
Based in Aix-en-Provence, the firm built BMA lightweights using Aubier-Dunne engines of 98cc.
Sources: wikipedia.nl, Tragatsch p159


Hémy engines
Ets Paul de Marne et Cie, 3 boulevard Latour-Maubourg, Paris (7°)[1]
Ets G M R, 8-10, Boulevard Gouvion-Saint-Cyr, Paris 17°
1946-1954, built 34cc and 48cc two-stroke bicycle engines (hilfsmotor) named L'Hemycycle
N.B. Cyclememory gives the first address for the Type 102 34cc engine, and the second for Types 109 (48cc) and 120 (34cc).
Sources: La Moto Francaise, Moped SE


  • Hellessen

  • Henri Vallée

    Constructed in 1905, the motorcycle was water-cooled. Unfortunately it did not gain popularity. M. Vallée was studious and inventive, and built many automobiles. He died tragically by drowning at the age of 51.

    Source: filleapreseparation.kazeo.com


    Henriod C.E.
    7/9 rue de Sablonville, Neuilly sur seine
    1898. Manufactured tricycles and engines.
    Bourdache p436


    Hernis
    Ateliers de construction mécanique d'Asnières,
    47 quai d'Asnières, Asnières (seine)
    1897. Petrol engines for automobiles and motorcycles from 1 to 8hp
    Bourdache p436


    H.L.B.
    Paris representative, 83 rue Lafayette
    Manufacturer of arms and bicycles in Saint-Etienne. Motorcycle 330 cc with magneto ignition. Related to Deronzière and Rupta.
    Produced a ¾ hp engine adaptable to bicycles
    Bourdache p436


    HRD
    Previously HRD of Varese, Italy, the marque was bought by the Mazères Aviation group and moved to France around 1997. In 2001 the factory was purchased by the Spanish firm Sherco, and is now the company headquarters for this truly European marque which also boasts strong German connections.
    Source: ladepeche.fr


    Huco
    The St Etienne firm sold re-branded Ravat motorcycles in the 1950s. The Huco Type 154/4 is very similar to the Ravat 154 and has a type R9 4-speed engine, and a 1957 Type H52 has a 100cc Sachs engine.
    There appears to have been a connection with Paul Huffschmitt of Strasbourg.
    Source: Motos dans la Loire


    Hunter 1920s


    Hurtu

    French Resources


    If you have a query or information about these French motocyclettes please contact us