Messner and Breton of 78 rue des Archives, Paris
1906. Built motocyclettes using Quentin or possibly C.D. engines.
Radia see Jeunet
Built 98cc two-stroke bicycle attachment engines.
Sources: Tragatsch p257
Motorcycles. Chollet, elder, manufacturer in Paris, 1907
A cycle manufacturer since 1926, they began building mopeds in 1951 using Poulain engines, and between then and 1957 constructed some 3,500 machines at 65 Rue Désiré Claude in St Etienne. Some of these were built for Raphaël Géminiani.
Moto Revue 16th Feb 1957 lists the company as building 2,900 cyclomoteurs from 1955 to 1956.
Source: Motos dans la Loire
The marque was founded in 1952 and was represented at the Paris Salon that year, but possibly only displayed bicycles. In 1957 mopeds built by Randolin were offered, most likely rebadged. The firm possibly changed hands in 1959, with Rhonson as the new owners. After this Gitane machines were offered, also possibly rebadged. 1964 was the last year for mopeds, but they continued with cycles until at least 1966.
Géminiani raced cycles with Métropole prior to becoming an assembler.
Source: Motos dans la Loire
Constructed 1955. Auxiliary bicycle engines available with two speeds on order.
Source: Wikipedia NL
In 1922 they advertised a model with a Béchir & Collin 250cc enngine and a 2-speed gearbox (options of 3 and 4 speed). There was also a Moto Grand Sport model with a Bradshaw 500cc OHV oil-cooled engine with a truly Trumpian claimed top speed.
A tricar built in 1955 using a Sabb 125cc engine which did not proceed past prototype stage.
Built in Marseilles - A photograph shows a lightweight rigid two-stroke sans pedales with styling very similar to many others. Probably early 50s.
La Moto Francaise
1905. Pagis et Cie, factory in Albert (Somme)
Built under license from Rochet Bruneau
Prosper Renaux, 1898. Built a tricycle with a horizontal liquid cooled 500cc engine, used successfully in competition in the 1899 Paris-St Malo race. It does not appear to have been marketed, but it is believed at least two were built, one of which was in the Guélon Collection. Another from the same collection is a highly unusual motorcycle with a very similar 572cc horizontal engine and a large flat fuel tank, the bottom of which follows the curvature of the lower frame rail, a thing of some beauty. It is dated c.1904.
Prosper's son Eugene Renaux won the Michelin Grand Prix and 100,000 francs when, on the 7th March 1911, he took off from Paris, flew over the Arc de Triomphe and the spires of Clermont-Ferrand cathedral before landing on the Puy de Dôme.
Sources: Bourdache p440, Guélon Collection
Built a 3hp motocyclette in 1904
Address: 10 Rue du treuil in St Etienne
In the 1950s they built mopeds powered by 49cc Poulain engines. Closed in 1959.
Source: Motos dans la Loire
A cycle brand established by Louis Messner active in the 1920s and 30s, an image shows the address as 55, Rue du Chemin Vert, Paris and advertises Cycles & Autombiles. They built a BMA motorcycle in 1935, the Type 11. In 1960 they advertised Rexor cyclomoteurs giving their address as 32 Rue du Chemin Vert Paris XI°.
Source: encycloduvelo.fr, tontonvelo.com, period advertising.
Manufactured by Robert Hannoyer of Paris from 1951 to 1954 using 175cc AMC four-stroke engines, these microcars were built in a variety of forms.
Source: Bruce Weiner Microcar Museum
Mechanical engineer in Évreux (or Lisieux) patented and built a bicycle engine in 1899. The engine was located directly below and to the rear of the saddle, and drove the rear wheel via belt. The engine construction is quite unusual, having no connecting rod.
Bourdache pp 68, 69, 71, 109.
Motorcycle with Richard engine ridden by the builder in the the M.C.F. in 1904
Bourdache pp 75, 76, 82, 93, 95, 96, 105, 106, 127, 131, 133, 135, 136, 175, 190, 192, 209, 292, 297.
Etablissements Automotrice Rivierre was the firm established in 1896 by cycling champion Gaston Rivierre, one of the pioneers of motorcycling. He and his friend Léonce Girardot patented a motorcycle in 1897 and presented a machine powered by De Dion-Bouton at the 1898 Paris Salon. It is believed these motorcycles were built in the workshops of Charron, Girardot and Voigt (CGV) in Paris, who in 1904-05 were the French agents for Evart-Hall.
Rivierre built motorcycles in the years 1903-1905 using De Dion-Bouton engines, and also fitted radial engines of 3 and 4 cylinders mounted in the rear wheel in a similar fashion to the front-wheel-drive Megola.
One of the many patents by M. Rivierre was a rear hub. Fitted to the 1907 Contral Mototri, it "carries the brake and contains the clutch and the two speeds in the form of an epicyclic train with high speed in direct drive."
Gaston Rivierre had a strong association with Contal, and took over that firm around the end of 1910, two years after closing the Rivierre firm. Contal folded in 1914, but M. Rivierre remained in the motor trade until his death in 1942.
Sources: OTTW, Bourdache (numerous mentions).
Further reading: lestricars.es.tl
Notes. 1. Artcurial
21 rue César Bertholon, Saint Etienne, founded 1848.
M. Rivolier and his son built the R.P.F. c1905-1913. Some of their machines were rebadged or closely based on the Deronziere-Rupta machines, and they probably also used a Doué engine. They are also said to have assembled
In the 1930s they sold Ravat BMA machines, most likely rebadged. Alexis Rivolier died in 1938, and the factory was later occupied by Drevon. The firm still exists and continues in the sporting gun trade. In the 1920s they built bicycles.
See also Deronziere
Sources: Motos dans la Loire, Bourdache (p441), ultimalyon.jpcor.fr, moto-collection.org.
Manufactured at 123 Avenue Parmentier, Paris (XI)
Built custom bicycles which won the Tour de France in 1954.
Powered models include 49cc P2C Le Poulain engine, Type P3V, Type V3V VAP, Type 3VM SABB 100cc, Type P85 2C Tandem a Moteur.
The Veloscoot'R of 1950 was also produced by the Ducheron workshops.
Marketed as Oubron, Robert Oubron, sometimes R. Oubron.
Robert Oubron (b. April 18, 1913) was a cycling world champion in many of the years from 1936 to 1946.
Early in the 1950s he opened a shop in Paris selling bicycles and mopeds, some of which were rebadged under his own name, including the Eriac from Rocher and probably Genial-Lucifer.
Sources: moto-scooter-annee50-60.over-blog.com, et al
Established around 1925, the company built cycles before creating mopeds using engines from Poulain, Martinet, Himo, Mistral, Vap and Lavalette until 1960. During the 1950s they were owned by Berger and the address was 151 Rue Antoine Durafour in St Etienne.
Source: Motos dans la Loire
Built by Serge Rosset in Annemasse. Rosset had previously managed the ELF and Yamaha France Grand Prix teams, and in 1992 worked with Harris to produce the Yamaha production racing frames. In 1994 he built his own V4 racing bike which he named the Moto Française GP 1.
Sources: Wikipedia NL
10, Grande-Rue, Pré-St-Gervais (Seine)
Listed as competing in several races in 1927 and 1928, won the 250cc class of the French Tourist Trophy race on May 10th, 1928.
Three models were offered in 1927, a 2-speed belt drive, a 3-speed belt drive, and a 3 speed chain drive.
Bicycle auxiliary engine built in 1904
Built light motorcycles using 98cc and 123cc two-stroke engines.
Sources: Tragatsch p262
Delaugère & Cie of 89 rue d'illiers, Orléans displayed a tricycle at l'exposition Universelle de Paris in 1898, which were fitted with 2½ hp or 3 hp engines. There is one known survivor, an 1899 model believed to be in the collection of the brothers Martin. From 1900, the firm also built quadricycles and other four-wheelers under the original name, which changed to Delaugere et Clayette.
In 1926 the company was purchased by Panhard and Levassor.
Sources: Bourdache p 441. Isabelle Bracquemond, mini.43.free.fr/delaugere.html
8. bis chemin du Port, Grigny (A.-et-O.)
In the mid 1950s offered models 125 & 175 Standard, Luxe and Sport AMC, 250 Luxe AMC, Cyclemoteur Standard and Luxe moteur Martinet.
Source: Period literature
Built lightweight two-stroke motorcycles of 98cc and 123cc from 1929 to 1935
Roux (Imbert & Roux)
Edmond Roux and Henri Imbert registerd the design for l'auto-roue Roux (The Roux Motor Wheel) in 1900, with an an addition in 1903. It is discussed in an article in "La Vie Automobile" of 1904, and it appears only one was built, powered by a single-cylinder four-stroke De Dion-Bouton engine mounted integral with the front wheel. The design had a number of flaws.
Source: Period literature.
Built light motorcycles using 98cc and 123cc two-stroke engines
Sources: Tragatsch p263
The Simon brothers of Objat were bicycle builders who marketed motorcycles built by Barbier under the Royal label in the 1950s.
19 Quai de La Marne, Joinville-le-Pont
A 1920s advertising illustratiion by Geo Ham shows machine similar to the Majestic with enclosed bodywork. As George Roy built the Majestic and was in partnership with Dollar, owned by Delachanal, it seems likely this was one of his creations.
L'Établissements Barbier of 34 Rue du 11 Novembre, Saint-Étienne, the firm was established in 1910 by the Simon brothers as a bicycle manufacturer. Motorcycles were built from 1923 to 1928 using Blackburne, Broullier and JAP 250cc, 350cc and 500cc engines.
In the Post-war years Barbier built mopeds and light motorcycles under the names Mécano and Marvi powered by Villiers, VAP and Junior.
The firm exported to Indo-China (Viet-nam) and had considerable involvement in bicycle racing throughout most of its existence.
Sources: OTTW, encycloduvelo.fr
Manufactured by Devaux et Cie, 241 bis Avenue Daumesnil, Paris. 1929 - 1931
Built motorcycles using engines from Aubier & Dunn, JAP and Koehler-Escoffier
Mr. Rogouclun (Eugène) Paris, established 1926, for the production of "automobiles, motocyclettes et bicyclettes"
Built lightweights using 123cc and 173cc two-stroke engines
Sources: wikipedia.nl, Tragatsch p265
The Rullier company revealed their Scot scooter at the Paris Salon of 1953. Powered by a 70cc Lavalette engine, the diminutive 3-speed machine weighed a mere 37kg.
Source: Amis Terriens
1896. Rouxel et Cie, builder of a motorised bicycle engine placed along the rear wheel which is driven by gearing or friction. Ran in the 1895 Paris-Dieppe with a De Dion engine.
This is possibly George Ruppaley, cycle builder of Wagram.
Bourdache p56; encycloduvelo.fr
Triumph, BMW, & Kawasaki Sales Spares & Repairs.
Established for over 40 years and run by expert motorcyclists.
Fully authorised workshop.