Notes on some of the rarer Spanish marques
This page lists brands for which we currently have only an historical precis. For a more complete listing visit the Spanish Index.
Built in Barcelona during the 1960s and 70s, these were competition motorcycles and engines based on the Derbi 74GS and OSSA 250cc.
Manufactured in Barcelona between 1955 and 1960 by Belart and Fibla, these lightweight machines were also marketed using the Belart, Velfi, Fibla, Camello and Gacela brands.
Using a pressed-metal steel frame and a 75cc engine mounted alongside the rear wheel, they were aimed at the burgeoning scooter market.
Motos del Sureste of El Palmar, Murcia (Motomur) reached an agreement in the mid-1970s with the Gimbernat brothers to take over manufacture of their Gimson mopeds. These were produced under the Beneti brand, and then were once more sold as Gimson.
Based in Esparreguera, Baix Llobregat, the firm is a subsidiary of Beta Italy which builds Spanish versions of the machines. Established by Antonio Trueba during the 1960s who became very well-known for his work in enduro and mx, and particularly in trials, the firm came to an agreement with Beta with proved fruitful for all parties.
Source: ca.wikipedia.org, betatrueba.com
This was a rebranded Fénix moped fitted with a 48cc Iresa engine. It was marketed by a firm in Eibar from 1949 to 1950.
It is unrelated to the Betty from Doubs, France.
Beistegui Hermanos was established as an arms manufacturer in Eibar (Guipuzkoa, Spain) by the brothers Cosme, Domingo and Juan Beistegui Albistegui.
After WWI they turned their attention to bicycles, and to this day produce fine products including electic bikes.
Beistegui Hermanos of Eibar and later Vittoria built lightweight motorcycles from 1956 to 1962 using Mistral engines which they built under licence to the French firm. A BH named "Mosquito" was displayed at Museo de la Industria Armera.
Source: wikipedia.nl, bhbikes.com, armia-eibar.eus
Founded in Palma de Mallorca in 1906, A. Bibiloni SA was involved in many aspects of the automotive industry. From 1952 to 1960 they built mopeds with Cucciolo 48cc OHV engines, and later employed Mosquito cyclemotors. Some 1500 to 2000 machines were built.
Construcciones Mécanicas, Bantista Esplagues, Algemesi, 1942-1962*.
From 1942 until 1950 the Esplugues brothers built a scooter and motocarros under the Baesal marque.
In the mid 1950s the marque became BJR, producing a variety of machines powered by 50cc to 175cc two-strokes.
Models included the XZ125 and VZ175, both with 4-speed two-stroke engines and swinging arm rear suspension, these remaining basically unchanged until end of production in the early 1960s.
* Notes: Sources vary on production dates.
Sources: wikipedia.nl, wikipedia.ca, lasprovincias.es
This was a single-cylinder 500cc motorcycle raced by Francisco Blanco. In 1926 he competed in the "Cuesta de las Perdices", achieving second place at an average speed of 75.27 km/h behind the Douglas of Federico Salgado.
Established in 1965 by Spanish champion Miguel Escobosa, Moto Blitz of Barcelona built modified Montesa Impala 250 and Enduro 360 machines. The company is still active.
Francesc Bonet built Spain's first vehicle powered by an internal combustion engine in 1899. He built it in his textile factory in Barcelona. A tadpole style tricycle, it accomodated four people in wicker seats.
It was powered by a single-cylinder Daimler engine with belt drive to the rear wheels. Two replicas of the tricycle have been built, one of which is in a Spanish museum.
Marketed by Tecnigas of Girona, well-known as a manufacturer of exhausts and accessories for motorcycles.
These are Rieju-based mopeds with a central frame to which the engine is anchored in the lower part, telescopic forks, dual rear shock absorbers, 17-inch wheels and drum brakes. Said to be available with and without pedals.
Engine is an air-cooled two-stroke with electric start.
Sources: motorpasionmoto.com, mopedarmy.comet al.
If you have a query about these vintage Spanish motos please contact us