German Motorrad

Motorcycles Built in Germany (B)

Motorräder Hergestellt in Deutschland: Notes on some of the rarer German marques

This page lists brand names beginning with the letter "B" for which we currently have only an historical precis.
For a more complete listing visit the German Index.


1923-1925. Motorenbau B. Bortius, Stettin, Lange Strasse 4. Built lightweights using Alba 197cc four-stroke engines.
Source: Tragatsch p84,

Manufactured 1923-25 by Fahrzeugwerke Barth & Co., Marburg an der Lahn
Built motorcycles using two-stroke engines from DKW, Alba , Gruhn and Baumi of 149 to 198cc
Sources: Tragatsch p82,

Manufactured 1923-25
Built motorcycles using two-stroke engines from DKW

BEF 1908-1914

Built otherwise conventional motorcycles powered by crude oil-powered engines of 113cc and 176cc designed by Julius Löwy.
Believed to have been built by Albertus
NB.There is a suggestion that production may have continued until 1926.
Sources: Tragatsch p84,

Built modest machines with open frames fitted with their own 218cc two-strokes, and JAP 348cc and 490cc side-valve engines.
Both the Behag and the Befag are believed to have been built by Albertus
Sources: Tragatsch p84,

Benz 1896

Bergmann Engines 1921


Beresa logo

Manufactured by Beresa Werke AG, Beckum Bez. Münster, 1923-25 by Beckmann, Renfert and Sanftenberg.
Built motorcycles using two-stroke engines with the exhaust at the rear of the cylinder.
Later in the 1920s the company became a major dealer with Daimler-Benz and is now the second-largest Mercedes-Benz dealer in Germany.
Sources: Tragatsch p86,,

Built in 1924 using 145cc DKW engines. The company was probably H. Ahlers & Berg GmbH of Kiel.
Source: Tragatsch p86, et al.

Manufactured 1924-25 by Fahrradwerk Schaumburg, Bückeburg
An established bicycle factory, they built lightweight motorcycles using DKW 145cc two-stroke engines.
Sources: Tragatsch p86,


The Bergsieger moped was included in the extensive mail-order catalogues of Josef Kruse Paderborn in the early 1960s. Models included the Avus GS 7, Avus GS 8, and the GS 11 with kickstarter. All had Sachs 48cc engines. Some had dual seats and Earles-style leading link forks.

Source: contemporary literature.

Manufactured 1921-23
Built lightweights with 148 cc engines. Unrelated to Bismarck of Radevormwald.

Manufactured from 1903 to 1907 by Bielefelder Nähmaschinen and Fahrradfabriek AG (B.N.F.)
They built motorcycles in Bielefeld using Fafnir singles and V-twins.
Sources: Tragatsch p92,

Bodo 1924-25


Manufactured by Jakob Boes & Co., Wilmersdorferstrasse 76 - 79, Charlottenburg, 1903-1904

The firm built a commercial three-wheeler with a 4hp engine which could be air- or water-cooled, and was started with a crank-handle.

Jakob Boes left the company in July 1904 and it ceased production of motor vehicles later that year.

Source: Axel Oskar Mathieu Archive

Borgward 1925-26


Motorräderzeugung Johann Braak, Gronau in Westfalen
Fitted engines of 129cc and 198cc from Heilo and Namapo into frames supplied by Hugo Gruhn
Sources: Tragatsch p93,,

Bravis motorradbau, Munich
The firm built motorycles using 148cc two-strokes probably of their own construction along with Bosch-Douglas 297cc HO Twins from SMW.
Franz Seelos of Munich rode these in many Bavarian competition events with considerable success. The name Franz Seelos is associated with that of Martin Stolle and the D-Rad racing team of the late 1920s.
Sources: Tragatsch p93,,

Bruno v. Festenberg-Pakisch 1920s-1939

B. Pront, Cleve
This was a bicycle factory which attached 1.5hp engines of their own manufacture to strengthened bicycle frames. These engines were supplied to Argul and probably others.
Sources: Tragatsch p98,,


A commercial motor-dreirad was built in 1927. 500cc and 600cc engines were available.

Source: Axel Oskar Mathieu Archive

Bullo-Fahrzeugwerk, Bremen, Bullo Elektrad
The 0.7hp electric motor was mounted above the front wheel, and the large 120 amp battery box was mounted low in the frame. It had a belt-rim style rear brake. The battery could be charged using DC or with alternating three-phase current via rectifier from domestic supply.
Sources: Tragatsch p98,,,

Manufactured by Ernst Bülow Kraftfahrzeugwerk, Magdeburg-Neustadt, Inslebener Straße 1
Models P24 and F24. These had a plywood frame with an engine of 2 or 2.5 hp and two speeds.
Sources: Tragatsch p98,,

Manufactured by Bungartz and Co., Munich
An established builder of tractors, in 1934 they added an automobile to their lineup, the Bungartz Butz. Designed by Josef Ganz, the tiny two-seater was propelled by a water-cooled 400cc two-stroke twin mounted above the rear axle.
The machine did not achieve market penetration and was shelved within the year.
Ganz, a Jew, was persecuted by the Nazis and fled to Switzerland. His contribution to the development of the Volkswagen was never recognised, and he died, impoverished, in Australia.
The Butz and its creator are discussed in more detail here: Josef Ganz
Sources: Oldtimerclub Lachendorf, et al


Bernhard Werner of Suhl built motorcycles from 1927 to 1933 named the BWS. Blackburne engines were mounted in frames from Rennsteig in Suhl, with Hurth gearboxes.

His 1927 350cc Blackburne model developed 9 PS at 4000rpm and could achieve 95 km/h.

German Resources

Rarer German Marques