emu
German Motorcycles

Motorcycles Built in Germany (L)

Motorräder Hergestellt in Deutschland: Notes on some of the rarer German marques

This page lists brand names beginning with the letter "L" for which limited historical information is currently available.
For a more complete listing visit the German Index.

L

LDR
Manufactured 1922-1925
Josef Herz designed 548cc sv external-flywheel engines which were housed in frame with a comparitively low sadddle. Early models were belt drive, later machines had chain/chain drive but with little protection for the rider.
Source: Tragatsch p192


Lebelt
Operating from 1924 to 1925, the firm built motorcycles fitted with 3.8 hp two-stroke and 4.6 hp sidevalve engines of their own production.
Source: Tragatsch p192


Leifa
Lightweights of 148cc believed to have been built by Fama of Kiel-Friedrichsort in 1924-1925. Not related to the Berlin automobile company of the same name and period.
Sources: Tragatsch p192, Wikipedia DE.


Leopard
Manufactured by Dietlein & Co. of Magdeburg-Neustadt, 1921-1926
Fitted with a Columbus four-stroke 250cc engine the motorcycle did well in competition. In 1925 Motosacoche engines were employed.
Source: GTU Oldtimerservice


Leto
Lehmann designed a welded pressed metal frame with integral fuel tank into which he fited Rinne two-stroke engines of 173 and 198cc. These were produced from 1926 to 1928
Source: Tragatsch p193


LFG
Manufactured by Luftfahrzeug GmbH of Berlin, fames manufacturer of airships and aircraft, including WWI fighter planes.
After the Great War, Germany was banned from producing aircraft so the company turned to other avenues, producing the LFG motorcycles from 1921 to 1925. These had the engine mounted well to the rear, below the saddle, and were referred to as Schieberad, "pushing wheel".
Source: GTU Oldtimerservice


Liliput
1923-26
Built a variety of lightweight motorcyles using engines from DKW, Namapo, Baumi, Gruhn and probably others.
Source: Tragatsch p194


Linsner
Between 1922 to 1924 the firm built motorcycles powered by flat-twins of 293cc from Bosch-Douglas and 492cc from BMW.
Source: Tragatsch p194


Lloyd
Ottmar Cramer, owner of Ocra, produced machines under the Lloyd marque. Initially these were 137cc clip-on bicycle engines, and later motorcycles using a variety of JAP engines.
The firm does not appear to be associated with Hansa-Lloyd or Borgward.
Source: meisterdinger.de


LMS
Luftreederei Max Schüler, Osnabrück Netterheide
In 1923 the firm used its expertise as a builder of airships to construct motorcycles powered by 142cc DKW engines. These had the appearance of a Zeppelin and were named the Tropfen-Motorrad. Few were made.
See also Tropfen
Sources: Tragatsch p194, motor-hist-foto.de


Lohrlein
1980
An off-road racer built by Peter Lohrlein, the machine had a monocoque frame and unusual swinging arm front suspension. The wheels were of pressed metal, and it was powered by a modified Sachs 175cc engine.
Source: wikipedia.nl.


Lomos
Manufactured by Eichler of Berlin for DKW, the scooter-like machine was advertised as a "single-track car".
There was a similar machine named the Golem, also by Eichler.
Source: GTU Oldtimerservice


Lord
Constructed from 1929 to 1931 using a 198cc JAP sidevalve engine. The reason of the English name is obscure.
Source: Tragatsch p196


Lorenz (Stettin)
This was a scooter with a 211cc two-stroke engine built by Ing. Arthur Lorenz of Stettin-Braunsfelde, Dunkerstraße 5, 1921-1922.
Sources: Tragatsch p196, prawobrzeze.eu


Lorenz (Berlin)
Manufactured by Lorenz, Wittig & Co. of Berlin, 1921-1925
The motorcycle was powered by a Lorenz 126cc two-stroke longitudinal boxer engine and used cast aluminum pistons. These were also marketed under the name Rapid. The engines were sold to other firms including Hüffer.
Source: GTU Oldtimerservice


Löwy
1920s
Czech engineer Julius Löwy designed and built two-stroke twins of 113, 142 and 176cc which were supplied to Albertus and Almora.
Source: wikipedia.nl.


Lucas
In 1923-24 they built lightweights fitted with Bekamo 129cc two-strokes, and later with engines of their own construction.
Source: Tragatsch p196


Ludolph
From 1924 to 1926 they constructed basic motorcycles using 247cc and 299cc two-stroke engines of their own manufacture fitted to conventional frames.
Source: Tragatsch p196


Lupus
Lupus Motorenbau, Stuttgart, Landhausstraße 43
Manufactured for Rudolf Wolf & Co. of Berlin, 1923-1926
The 148 cc two-stroke motorcycle used a Douglas 2-speed gearbox driving the rear wheel via belt.
Source: GTU Oldtimerservice, wirtemberg.de


Lutrau
Ludwid Traunspurger designed two-stroke engines of 198, 246 and 346cc, and a four-stroke 497cc sidevalve unit. These were fitted to the automobile accessory firm's motorcycles in the years 1924 to 1933.
Source: Tragatsch p196


Luwe

Founded 1921 by Ludwig Weber and his brother Anton in Freiburg, Breisgau as an automobile manufacturer using extensively modified V12 engines, motorcycle production began around 1924. Their machines used 750cc V-twin engines from MAG in Switzerland and others from English suppliers JAP and Blackburne.




LWD
Manufactured by Lippische Werke AG, Detmold, 1923-1924
The firm built railway carriages, agricultural machinery and much more. The LWD motorcycle appeared with a 195cc four-stroke engine, but the marque did not survive the economic crisis.
Source: GTU Oldtimerservice


German Resources

Notes
motor-hist-foto.de and das-leichtmotorrad.de are the same.


If you have a query or information about German motorcycles, please contact us

City Coast Motorcycles
City Coast Motorcycles

Triumph, BMW, & Kawasaki Sales Spares & Repairs.
Established for over 40 years and run by expert motorcyclists.
Fully authorised workshop.