emu
German Motorcycles

Motorcycles Built in Germany (N)

Motorräder Hergestellt in Deutschland: Notes on some of the rarer German marques

This page lists brand names beginning with the letter "N" for which limited historical information is currently available.
For a more complete listing visit the German Index.

N

NAG
NAG was a very large company which built automobiles, trucks and numerous other vehicles from the early 20th century until after the second war. They controlled a number of companies which built, at various times, motorcycles.
In 1927 the Presto company was renamed NAG-Presto Werke AG. See Presto (DE)
The NAG marque is not listed in Tragatsch.


Namapo
Bernhard Nagle of Maschinen & Motorenfabrik, Stettin, Giesebrechtstraße 6 (now Poland) built 147cc and 197cc four-stroke engines which he fitted to light motorcycles. The smaller version was also sold as a bicycle attachment engine.
These were also fitted to the Difra machines which may have been produced by the same company.
Sources: Tragatsch p225, prawobrzeze.eu


Nassovia
Limited production of motorcycles powered by 2.7hp Anzani engines, built in 1925 only
Sources: Tragatsch p225


National
Manufactured by Hainsberger Metallwerke KG (HMW) of Hainsberg, Dresden.
A bicycle manufacturer dating back to 1902, lightweight motorcycles were produced before and during the war under the National brand. Post-war, the factory was run by AG Awtowelo under Soviet control and 100cc Sachs-engined motorcycles of the same general appearance and construction were marketed as HMW. They were unrelated to the Austrian marque of the same name, nor to the German HMW of the 1920s.
Sources: GTU Oldtimerservice, Tragatsch


Necko
Built in Frankfurt by Neckermann-Versand KG from 1954 to 1960, the Necko used JLO engines and came in three versions, the 100, the 200 and the Luxe.
Source: GTU Oldtimerservice


Nemalette
Manufactured by Netzschkauer Maschinenfabrik of Netzschkau built three-wheelers from 1923 to 1925* with drive to two rear wheels.
* Possibly 1924-25
Sources: wikipedia.de, et al.


Nera, Neroba
Built in Kirchentellinsfurt by Raiser & Söhne from 1949 to 1950, the Nera scooter had a JLO 120cc engine whilst the similar Neroba used a 150cc Sachs.
Source: GTU Oldtimerservice


Nestoria
Manufactured by Nestoria Motorenwerk GmbH, Solgerstrasse 6, Nuremberg. 1923 - 1931
In 1923, Nestoria purchased Astoria and later also built 350 and 500 class motorcycles fitted with OHC engines from Kurchen. In the late 1920s they built machines using 500cc and 600cc MAG engines along with those of Sturmy-Archer. Blackburne and JAP engines were optional. Despite good sales and sporting success the financial situation took its toll and in 1931 they closed.
An example is displayed at the Museum Industriekultur in Nürnberg
Source: meisterdinger.de


NEVE-ILO
The company was one of the first to fit the then-new 132cc and 170cc ILO engines to their own frames. The firm operated from 1924 to 1926
Source: Tragatsch p226


NIS
Operating from 1925-1926, the firm fitted 269cc JAP two-strokss and 293cc JAP sidevalve engines into their own conventionally styled frames.
They were possibly also known as M.J.S.
Source: Tragatsch p228


NKF
Using Bekamo 132cc engines they built lightweights from 1924 to 1925.
Source: Tragatsch p228


Nordap
Manufactured by Nordap Motorbau GmbH, Ladenburg, 1950-1953
This was a 32cc bicycle auxiliary motor installed in the front wheel hub, with the fuel tank attached to the handlebars. In the Netherlands it was sold as the Velmo.
Source: GTU Oldtimerservice

Nordstern
Beginning in 1922, Nordstern built motorcycles with 2.5hp two-stroke engines. The SFW firm purchased Nordstern when it failed in 1924.
Source: Tragatsch p229


German Resources

Notes
motor-hist-foto.de and das-leichtmotorrad.de are the same.


If you have a query or information about German motorcycles, please contact us

City Coast Motorcycles
City Coast Motorcycles

Triumph, BMW, & Kawasaki Sales Spares & Repairs.
Established for over 40 years and run by expert motorcyclists.
Fully authorised workshop.