German

Motorcycles Built in Germany (R)

Motorräder Hergestellt in Deutschland: Notes on some of the rarer German marques

This page lists brand names beginning with the letter "R" for which limited historical information is currently available.
For a more complete listing visit the German Index.

R

Rapier
Manufactured in 1953 and 1954 by Rapier Fahrradfabrik, Märkische Straße 23, Bielefeld. Initially they offered kits into which appropriate engines from JLO, Sachs and Zundapp could be installed, and also produced complete mopeds.
Sources: Moped Archive, GTU Oldtimerservice


Ratingia

Logo


1923-25
Built by F. Müller & Co. GmbH, Ratingen im Rheinland.
Lightweights with engines of 173 and 195cc, also given as four-strokes of 1.5 ps and 2.5 ps.
Sources: Tragatsch p259, Henshaw p321, motor-hist-foto.de


Record
1922-24
Built basic machines using two-stroke 147cc engines of their own construction. The engine was mounted high in the triangle of a strengthened bicycle frame, with belt drive to the rear wheel.
Source: Tragatsch p259, motor-hist-foto.de


Rehling logo

Rehling
Founded by Carl Rehling of Bielefeld in 1919, the company changed ownership but not the name and produced 247cc motorcycles in 1924 and 1925.
Source: GTU Oldtimerservice


Renner-Original

Rennsteig
1925-30
An arms factory which took over production of Original-Krieger machines and fitted 198cc to 497cc Blackburne engines into typical KG double-loop frames.
Source: Tragatsch p260


Rex of Behringersdorf
Rex Kraftfahrzeug GmbH, Behringersdorf near Nuremberg. 1923 - 1925
The company produced a small number of two-stroke motorcycles. At least one remains, and has chain drive to the gearbox and belt-drive to the rear wheel, which has a rim brake. No front brake.
Source: meisterdinger.de


Rex of Munich


Ribi
Manufactured by Binnewies & Sprecher, Berlinm 1923-1925
These were quality machines of 200 and 250cc which took advantage of the tax and licence-free laws then in effect. They had kickstarter, clutch and a two-speed gearbox.
Source: GTU Oldtimerservice


Rinne
Rinne-Motorengesellschaft mbH of Berlin, 1925-1930, was primarily an engine manufacturer of air-cooled and water-cooled two-strokes of 131cc to 250cc which they supplied to other motorcycle firms including Bücker, Leto, Wecoob, Slevogt amd Schlimme. They also built complete motorcycles designed and raced by Max Hucke, the last of which was produced in 1928.
The 131cc engine was air-cooled and horizontal.
Source: GTU Oldtimerservice


Riwina
Manufactured by the Ridder Brothers of Bielefeld, 1923-1924
Herford König supplied 233cc engines for these machines.
Source: GTU Oldtimerservice


Robako
1924-26
Berlin firm which fitted Bekamo 129cc and MGF 132cc engines to lightweights.
Source: Tragatsch p272


Roco
Manufactured by Roco Motorfahrzeuge AG, Berlin-Charlottenburg, 1922-1925
These were robust machines powered by horizontal two-strokes of 110 and 147cc with Bosch magneto ignition. The engines were possibly supplied by Cockerell.
Motorcycle racer Johannes Rössig was associated with the company, along with brothers Hermann and Heinrich Rossner.
Sources: GTU Oldtimerservice, wikipedia.nl, Tragatsch p262


  • Roconova

  • Roeder
    Manufactured by Roeder & Co., Hanover, 1906-1914
    Known as Auto-Phaetons, these were effectively two heavy bicycles running side by side with an engine in one and a seat or carrier in the centre, driving via a chain.
    Source: GTU Oldtimerservice


    Roland
    Manufactured by Hugo Marschin in Berlin, 1923-1924.
    These were light motorcycles with 132cc Bekamo and 175cc DKW engines.
    Source: GTU Oldtimerservice
    N.B. Roland of Dessau, automobile manufacturer 1924-26, is unrelated.


    Roter Teufel
    1923-25
    Bismarck Motoren GmbH, Berlin-Charlottenburg, Bismarckstraße 102
    Berlin firm which fitted their own 170cc four-stroke sidevalve engines to light motorcycles.
    Source: Tragatsch p263


    RS
    Two different German companies built motorcycles under the RS marque concurrently.
    Rogge & Stiller of Berlin built two-stroke engines 1924-1925
    Scheid-Henniger of Karlsruhe built RS motorcycles 1925-1928. These were also marketed under the SH brand.
    Source: GTU Oldtimerservice, Tragatsch p272.


    RUD
    1927-30
    Dresden firm which built handsome roadsters using Kuhne, MAG and JAP engines of 348cc to 748cc.
    Source: Tragatsch p265


    Ruppe
    Manufactured by Ruppe-Motor GmbH of Berlin
    Hugo Ruppe has quite a history, having been associated with Piccolo, MAF, Rasmussen where he developed the engine later famed as the DKW, and founded Bekamo. He also built the Kaelert & Ruppe in Czechoslovakia.

    He produced 100cc auxilliary bicycle engines under his own name from 1927 to 1930.
    Source: GTU Oldtimerservice


    RUT
    August Gernet, Motorfahrzeugbau, Nürnberg
    Built motorcycles with an external flywheel 132cc two-stroke engine.
    Source: meisterdinger.de


    Runge
    Fahrzeugfabrik Harold Runge, Hannover 401. 1923-26
    Built limited numbers of motorcycles 125cc and 148cc DKW two-strokes, and also OHV engines from Paque.
    Source: Tragatsch p267, motor-hist-foto.de


    Ruwisch
    Karl Ruwisch of Cologne built a light scooter powered by a Victoria 32cc two-stroke mounted above the front wheel, 1949-1959(1).
    Notes: 1. Dates vary with some sources giving first production as early as 1947, which would make it Germany's first post-war scooter. Tragatsch gives 1948-49, Wikipedia NL 1948-59.
    Source: GTU Oldtimerservice


    RWN
    Manufactured by Rudolf Woth of Nordhausen 1927-1930.
    Three-wheeler with engines of 200cc to 500 cc. The front wheel and forks were motorcycle-style, controlled by a steering wheel. The driver and passenger sat on a bench seat located directly above the rear axle. Production was limited.
    Source: motor-car.net


    German Resources


    If you have a query or information about German motorcycles, please contact us