German Motorrad

Today in Motorcycle History

Motorcycles Built in Germany (C)

Motorräder Hergestellt in Deutschland: Notes on some of the rarer German marques

This page lists brand names beginning with the letter "C" for which we currently have only an historical precis.
For a more complete listing visit the German Index.


Cargo Cruiser

Manufactured by Dreiradbau, Saarbrücker Strasse 22-24, Berlin.

Olaf Lange established the firm around 1997. The Cargo Cruiser of 2007 is electric and pedal-powered with a payload of 250kg and is capable of 24 km/h.

Sources: Axel Oskar Mathieu Archive, et al.


Manufactured by Carlos Fahrzeugwerke GmbH, Kreiensen (Harz), 1924-1926.

Built motorcycles fitted with DKW two-stroke engines.

Bicycle firm, formerly Jagdrad, Burgsmüller & Sons Einbeck, later Baronia of Bielefeld (see Heidemann). Operated from 1924 to 1925.


Carpeviam 1902-1905



Manufactured by Neu-Co Motorradbau, Forchheim, Oberfranken

Built conventional lightweights with 1.5hp engines sourced from Richard Gruhn in Berlin-Steglitz.

Sources: Tragatsch p102,

N.B. Several other firms used variations of the Centaur brand.

Champion 1926-1933

Manufactured by Charlkron Motorradbau, Ohligs
Built sports motorcycles using Kürchen 348 and 496cc OHC single-cylinder engines.
Sources: Tragatsch p103,

Manufactured by Compagnia Levante GmbH, Hamburg
Built 34cc mini-scooters in small numbers, 1951 only.
Sources: Tragatsch p104,

Claes 1904~1908


Manufactured by Alfred Karfunkel, Charlottenburg-Westend, Küsternallee 24. (or possibly Rüstern-Allee 24), 1906 to 1908.

There were two models - one was a tricycle which used an electric motor to drive the single front wheel. The top speed of the Elektrisches-Dreirad was claimed to be 25 km/h with a range of 80 to 90 km. The open body offered space for four people. The other model had a 4-cylinder petrol engine.

The company failed as a result of the economic slump of the period.


Colonia 1921~1926

Manufactured by Carl Rueff, 5. Bruderstraße, München, these were lightweight machines powered by Villiers 172cc two-stroke engines.
Sources: Tragatsch p110,

Manufactured by established bicycle firm Cyclop Fahrrad AG of Elsdorf who built lightweights powered by 127cc to 198cc two-stroke and four-stroke engines from Kurier, Bubi, TeCo, Namopo and others
Sources: Tragatsch p111,

German Resources

Rarer German Marques