German Motorrad

Today in Motorcycle History

Motorcycles Built in Germany (M)

Motorräder Hergestellt in Deutschland: Notes on some of the rarer German marques

This page lists brand names beginning with the letter "M" for which we currently have only an historical precis. See also the List of German Motorcycles.



Operating in 1927 and 1928, the firm used 346 sv and ohv Kühne engines, and sometimes the larger 496cc sidevalve.
Source: Tragatsch p197

Using DKW two-strokes and 198cc sidevalve engines of their own the firm built motorcycles from 1921 to 1926.
Source: Tragatsch p197

Mada Autino 1947-1949

An established bicycle manufacturer, they built motorcycles from 1923 to 1927 using DKW two-strokes and Kühne 348cc ohv and 496cc sv engines.
Source: Tragatsch p197


Maiwald, Mascottchen
Manufactured by Neuköllner Maschinenfabrik, 1952-1953
Address: Berlin SO 36 Köpenicker Str. 147
This was a small scooter with a 50cc engine. Apparently it was underpowered and failed to find buyers.
Source: GTU Oldtimerservice

Sportmotorräder + Motoballzubehör manufactured by Jonny Mallon of Meinerzhagen, near Cologne.
Motoball models K2 (98cc AX100), M4 and M4a (Rotax 250cc Type 257), and M6 (TM 250).
Sources: François-Marie Dumas,

Mammut (Bielefeld)
There were three marques of this name built in Germany, as well as the Munch Mammut. Two were built in Bielfeld.
In 1924-1929 Hermann Froböse of Mammut-Fahrrad-Werke GmbH, Bielefeld, produced a 249 cc two-stroke motorcycle with a Baumi engine.
Between 1953 and 1956 Mammut mopeds with 50 cc JLO, Zündapp and Sachs engines 50cc were produced. These were identical to mopeds sold by Meister and Phanomen, which were also based in Bielefeld.
Sources: GTU Oldtimerservice,

Mammut 1925-33 (Nuremberg)

Built a lightweight motorcycles using DKW 145cc and Grade two-strokes along with their own 155cc sidevalve engines from 1922 to 1924.
Source: Tragatsch p201

Manderbach 1925-1960

Limited production of lightweights with 183cc two-stroke engines, 1923-1924.
There was a well-established Italian marque of the same name.
Source: Tragatsch p202


Manufactured by Ernst Maasch, Berlin SO., Wrangelstr. 112, 1904

The marque was possibly named "ZIEL".

Zwerad-Motoren und Motor-Zweirädern.

Address also listed as Berlin SO., Mariannenstrasse 31—32

Source: contemporary literature

Manufactured by C. Klose, Staßfurt, 1924-1926
Well-received by the motorcycle press the firm offered two models, the second of 269cc with a tubular frame. Inflation made it impossible to continue and they closed in 1926.
Source: GTU Oldtimerservice

Maurer 1922-1926


MAW 1950s, DDR

Mawi 1923-1930

Manufactured by Auto-Motor-Industrie GmbH in Berlin, 1924-1925
The firm produced 180cc two-stroke and 446cc sidevalve single-cylinder motorcycles.
Source: GTU Oldtimerservice, Tragatsch p205

Mayrette 1924-33

Meteor 1924-1926 (Two different makes)

Metzger & Schlegel

Manufactured by Mercur Motoren GmbH, Berlin 1922-1924
Also marketed as the Record, these motorcycles had frames built by Hugo Gruhn and engines from Franz Krause.
Source: GTU Oldtimerservice

Meybein 1922-1926

The firm built basic machines powered by their own 168cc two-stroke engines, 1922-1926
Source: Tragatsch p208

Meyfa 1950s

Manufactured by Max Fischer, Nuremberg-Johannis, 1922 - 1926
The factory built motorcycles using 492cc BMW boxer engines, and 347cc and 497cc side-valve singles from Blackburne.

HO Twin

Horizontally Opposed Twin

Examples include BMW, Zundapp and Douglas HO Twins have conrods running on a common crank, with one on the exhaust stroke and the other on inlet.

Manufactured by Gerhard W. Lehmann & Co., Hamburg, 1923-1924, who also built automobiles. The motorcycles had wooden frames and used 198cc Nabob and 293cc SV JAP engines. Hoco of Minden continued construction after M.F.B. ceased trading.
N.B. 1. * 1922-1923 are dates given by another source. 2. There is also a post-WWII Italian marque of the same name: MFB
Source: Tragatsch (p208)

MFZ 1921-1928

Manufactured by Mühlbauer & Co., Berlin, 1923-1931
The firm specialised in high-performance two-stroke engines based on the Ruppe / Bekamo principle which were sold in large numbers to other motorcycle manufacturers.
They built belt-drive motorcycles, both with compressors, of 140cc and 175cc. When production of these ceased they continued making accessories.
Source: GTU Oldtimerservice

M.G.H. Heilbronn 1927~1939

Felix Mielke built racing machines based on the BMW R75 fitted with a Fiat Topolino 500cc engine from 1947 to 1951.
Source: GTU Oldtimerservice

Manufactured by Mittelbadische Motorradfabrik, Bruno Felbers & Son, Achern, Baden
Used 142 cc two-stroke Rohöl (crude oil) engines from Julius Löwy
Source: Tragatsch p211,

Built in Dortmund by Pirol Werke GmbH, 1951-1954
Introduced in 1949 as the JLO-powered Schweppe, the Miranda used 150cc Sachs and 200cc Kurchen engines.
See also Schweppe
Source: GTU Oldtimerservice, Tragatsch p211

1925. Built HO twins of 596 and 746cc which they supplied to other manufacturers including Heller. The Mehne firm purchased the company when it encountered difficulties. MJ also built an interesting two-stroke motorcycle which did not enter production.
Source: Tragatsch p211

Manufactured by Schönfeld & Schwarz, Nuremberg
The factory produced limited numbers of motorcycles with 245cc two-stroke engines. Possibly also known as N.I.S.

Produced limited numbers of 148cc two-stroke motorcycles 1925-1927.
Source: Tragatsch p212

Built 70cc and 148cc bicycle attachment engines along with complete motor bicycles from 1920 to 1925.
Source: Tragatsch p212

In the 1960s and 1970s Alfons Mohr of Hausen (am Nürburgring) built 50cc racing machines, among them Mohr-Kreidler and Mohr-Derbi.

Sources:, et al

Manufactured by Maschinenfabrik Oberndorf Neckar in Oberndorf, 1953-1955
Mopeds powered by 50cc Rex engines.
Source: GTU Oldtimerservice

Monos 1924~1929

Mops 1924-1925

Mota Wiesel 1948-52


Manufactured by Dobron-Motorist GmbH of Berlin, 1923-1925
The first model used a DKW 150cc two-stroke engine, followed by a JAP 350cc model. The machine was also marketed as the Dobron Motorist.
Source: GTU Oldtimerservice


Manufactured by Luftfahrzeug Gesellschaft of Berlin, an aircraft company, shortly after the end of World War One. In 1919 they built a Fahrrad-Hilfsmotor in the form of a powered trailer which pushed a bicycle, thus putting the cart before the horse.

Source: period advertising

Manufactured by Walter & Co. in Mühlhausen, 1903-1908
Also known as the Möwe, these motorcycles were fitted with Fafnir 3.5 hp single-cylinder engines and 5 hp V-twins.
Source: GTU Oldtimerservice

Active 1921-1924, the Muco firm built bicycle attachment engines of 118cc which were fitted adjacent to the rear wheel.
Source: Tragatsch p222


Mueller/Sauer-Gespannbau has been in business for over 40 years. When her partner Peter Sauer died in 2020, Elsbeth Mueller, an ardent sidecar rider, assumed management of the firm.


Mufag of Hanover 1950s

Mufi (Imperator)
Built a basic motorcycle with 348cc three-port deflector piston two-stroke in 1925-26.
Source: Tragatsch p222


Mathias Winekls was bicycle manufacturer around 1950 from Mönchengladbach Rheydt.

An example has a Sachs engine, probably 50cc. MWR logo on tank and headstock. Has pedals. Ladies model with dropped frame, valanced guards and chainguard. Rather pretty.

Source: Farben-Schiessl

German Resources

Rarer German Marques